Premed 101 Forums

Medicine in Canada

Guest MedRxGuy

Guest MedRxGuy

I have been out of the country for a few years. Can anyone fill me in on some of the major issues facing the profession in Canada right now. I had a dentist friend of mine say "Do you really want to go back to Canada to be a doctor??? They tell you where you must practice and they cap your income!" What did he mean??

Thanks

I suggest that you check out some of the press releases from the various provinical medical associations and the CMA in the past two years...you can also do a search of archived newspapers looking for information on this topic too. There is way too much to cover here and it varies by province. Happy hunting!

Guest Adamanda

I recommend reading the recent romanow commission on health care. It is an easy read and clearly lays out Canadian health care issues You can p/u a copy at a gov't book store or access it free online --- sorry I can't remember the address right now.

Guest UWOMED2005

Good suggestion, but the problem with the Romanow report is that it is a governmental body's perspective of the problems with Canada's health care system. I don't find it does the best job of capturing the physician's perspective as to what's wrong.

One of the best resources would be to ask physicians themselves what they find

The Coalition of Family Physicians of Ontario is a group which is quite vocal in expressing its dissatisfaction with the current practice climate in Ontario. You should be warned that they are quite radical in some of their views, and not always in the mainstream (they are quite critical of the mainstream bodies the OMA and CMA.) But their website is a great place to start to get a sense of some of the issues physicians raise with the current practice climate.

Archived