Premed 101 Forums

how many yrs can u stay in undergrad?

Guest purine5

Guest purine5

I know it's a dumb question..

but how many yrs can u stay in undergrad?

I and my friends screwed very first test in univ life

but we are trying to cheer ourselves up

by admitting the fact that meds care about best

3 yrs in undergrad,

(i know it's not true lol, everything depends upon schools u apply right?)

What If I do undergrad study more than 4 yrs

how they will look at my GPA ?

I know someone who's in his 6th year for med school

I would like to know how it works

thx;)

Guest LestatZinnie

hmm...no offence....but you kenner undergrads should really take a chill pill. I remember being in your shoes...getting all freaked out and stuff if i get below 80% in a quiz. Now, take my word, if you want to do well then you need to relax and look at the BIG PICTURE. You did bad in your FIRST test!!! Big deal!!! So you lost a battle, but you can still win the war!!!

Take my word for it...I've failed midterms and I was still able to end up top 10% of the science faculty and get in dentistry with scholarship. Failure is part of life- as a physician you won't be able to save every life, and as a student you won't be able to get A on every test. Univ is NOT high school- it's very normal for your grade to drop 10, even 20% from those 95's you're used to getting.

Good luck....and if you think i'm mean/cynical, then just re-read this post when you're in second year...then you'll see how right i am! :P

Guest PerfectMoment

That's sorta assuring for me.

I got the results back from my midterms and wasn't all too pleased with what i got. 70 in physics. 80 in bio. 70 in chem. 85 in english (how the?), 82 in calc. Those marks really bummed me out for a week or so. And i was really doubting my abilities but it's assuring to hear of people doing badly in their first term... or year... or 2 years or whatever, and bouncing back. I now know how to study for the courses. and how to better manage my time. Before I was trying to write stuff down on cue cards... cause i figured if that's what alot of ppl do, then hey, it must be effective. But that's just not how I learn. I forget what i write down on the cue cards and its just a big waste of time. But now, i know how i learn best.

Guest UWOMED2005

Those aren't bad at all. At least if you had all 80s, 82s and 85s you'd be almost guaranteed a few interviews. So focus on those 70s courses.

The key is consistency - pull those 70s up to 80s and you'll be fine. A 98% is essentially useless for applying to meds. . . anything >90% counts as a 4.0. So focus on those courses you had 70% in. You're goal should be to bring those to a 80%, high 70s at the least.

How much are those midterms worth? I had midterms worth 10% and others worth 50%. A 70% on a midterm worth 10% means essentially nothing. . . you've still got a great shot at 80% (A-) for the course. If it's worth 50% then things get trickier.

And don't worry if you do bungle first year, there are ways to getting around that. Just make sure you don't bungle 3/4 years. . . that makes things a lot tougher.

Guest PerfectMoment

yah. my midterms weren't worth all that much. something like 15-20% of my final mark. that's what helped me get over my relatively weak marks. if i ace the next exams, i'll do fine GPA-wise.

what's really frustrating though, is when it seems like everyone and their mother did well on the exam. right after my physics and chem exams were done, the answers were posted, and it seemed like everyone who wsa checking their mark seemed to be getting 80+. it made me feel so dumb. though, when official marks were posted, the averages were low compared to what it seemed like everyone was getting. i was in the 60th-70th percentile. oh well.

Guest LestatZinnie

if comparing with your grades with others makes you feel bad, then stop doing it!!! concentrate on your OWN goals and be responsible for yourself. It's daunting if you get too involved with comparison and competition because there will always be people who get higher grades than you.

another thing about goal-setting: be realistic. unrealistic goals will only result in frustration and self-doubt.

Archived