Premed 101 Forums

so when did you decide?

Guest medwannabee

Guest medwannabee

hi everyone,

Well, ive been reading all of these postings on this website, and i must say that it is such a great source of information.

Anyhow, having wrote the mcat and done all of that OMSAS stuff, I was just thinking to myself awhile ago, so when did i really decide that medicine was what i wanted to do with my life. And you know what, I cant really pinpoint it to an exact time or event in my life. I just find that kinda weird. So i just wanted to ask everyone out there, what sparked your interst into wanting to become a doctor!

:D

Guest Lactic Folly

I don't think it's weird not to have an epiphanal moment.. it's a major decision, one that I reached through experiencing different areas and fields, examining my interests and aptitudes, and eventually coming to the conclusion that this career path would be best for me.

Guest mchan86

at my high school they really stress on career path finding (if that's the term ppl call it) and going through an overwhelming amount of aptitude tests, and portfolio buildling. This career choice came up and up again. I analized it and was like "yah i like science, and yah i dig helping out other ppl" so i was like "hello medicine". On top of that i believe that it is where i feel like i could really just DO something. *shrug* haha. it's somewhat hard to explain.

Maybe sometimes your heart just says "go" and your head follows along.

+Michelle

Guest seedstrike

I agree with Lactic Folly,

I know many people who gradually drifted towards medicine rather than having an epiphany one day that thats what they want to do.

In my case, I decided to major in Bio in University because I tremendously enjoyed my AP Bio class in H.S. (more than any other science class). When I came to Uni, it seemed to me that every bio major was on the med path. So I started exploring it, did 2 years of volunteering, 2.5 yrs or clinical research, worked with two academic physicinas and two surg residents, and through all this, just one day decided that meds was for me. In fact looking back, I don't really know when that day actually occurred because it wasn't a conscious event. It just happened. So here I am now at Queens Meds slowly working towards my goals.

On a side note, having done a lot of volunteering and being in the hospital environment a lot, one thing I realized is that medicine isn't really about biology. It's true that the first two years of med schools are biology-intensive but Medicine is a different type of science. My point is that just the fact that someone enjoys biology doesn't mean that they are going to like medicine as well. I am glad that wasn't the case for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coralrush

I wanted to be a doctor, off and on, since I was a little kid, but it was more of a: my doctor is nice, very respected, why not?

In middle and high school when I got exposed to the sciences and loved them, this decision was reaffirmed. I also volunteered in a hospital for a summer then and I had a good time.

Though... I'd say the "turning point" was the summer I did some clinical work in the hospital. I really got to meet the doctors, residents, nurses, and the rest of the "team" and find out what they REALLY do, what it really involves... and I knew that this was what I wanted to do! It intrigued me more. And I'm hooked.

Archived