Premed 101 Forums

nursing

Guest Chowchilla

Guest Chowchilla

i did a search for this, and wasn't able to find anything on it. so does anyone know how med schools consider applications from those who've completed a BScN program?

is it considered as an 'undergraduate' program, or a 'graduate' program?

anyone know people who've taken this route?

thanks.

Guest medicator007

To the best of my knowledge it would be considered as an Undergraduate program... while I don't know of anyone who has taken that route, I know of at least one friend of mine who is planning on doing so.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest UWOMED2005

There's been at least one moderator on this board who did a BScN before medicine, and I have met MDs with a previous BScN. It is counted as an undergraduate degree as long as it is the Bachelor's, university based, nursing program and not the shorter community college based program.

Guest Chowchilla

thanks for your replies.

okay, since it's considered an undergraduate program, any idea how med schools use the marks given that it's only a 2 year program?

Nursing programs in Ontario are all 4 year bachelor's degrees and as such are treated the same as any other undergraduate degree program.

The only exception to this is the 2 year post-science degree programs offered by UofT and maybe Mac? To go into these programs you must have already finished a science degree before starting. You then earn a BScN degree basically by being given transfer credits from your previous degree to fulfill the basic science credits required. Again, your BScN would be treated the same as any other second undergraduate degree.

Archived