Premed 101 Forums

Optometry Student

Hi guys. I am Canadian student and I have been admitted into doctor of optometry program in a US school starting september. My gpa in my undergrad wasn't very competitive (3.5). If I ended up getting a better GPA in the optometry program, would ottawa med school consider the grades from there? as it is already a doctorate program which could be considered just like how Msc or PhD students are considered when they apply to med school. Are they going to consider by Optometry gpa or only my last three years of undergraduate? or maybe both? and if both are considered would there be any preference to higher gpa in optometry?     

thanks! ye i will call to make sure. Makes sense. But if that is the case, that they only consider last 3 years of undergrad, they why do people go into masters after their undergrad and apply med school after they finish masters or while doing masters?

is it like an alternative that if they don't get in med school they will have a masters degree? 

thanks! ye i will call to make sure. Makes sense. But if that is the case, that they only consider last 3 years of undergrad, they why do people go into masters after their undergrad and apply med school after they finish masters or while doing masters?

is it like an alternative that if they don't get in med school they will have a masters degree? 

Yes, and it's a good EC boost (pubs, awards, etc).

It depends on the school, some schools consider graduate work but Ottawa U only looks at undergraduate years for their WGPA assessment.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No they won't count if they aren't part of a full-time year. You can only boost WGPA really by doing additional full time (4 courses per semester) year(s)

So to be considered "full-time" for Ottawa, you take 4.0 courses (4 courses per semester)? Are you at disadvantage vs. those who are 5 courses per semester? 

I know some schools care about the "year level" of the course (e.g. Western's with 3/5 rule). Does Ottawa place limits on such or you can basically take any course you want? I read something on their website they have right to assess level of course or something.

Thank you! 

it states on Ottawa's website that they consider the difficult of coursework. Personally I had courses from all levels and it wasn't an issue. You obviously don't want mainly first and second year courses if you're in a more advanced year though so keep that in mind.

You can take 4 or 5 doesn't matter but if you take 4 you have to make it up in another semester.

Archived