Premed 101 Forums

Public Health (5Yr) Vs Family Ph Fellowship

mononoke

Hi all,

So I would like to know the difference between doing a  5 year Public Health and Preventative Medicine residency vs a +1 FM Public Health fellowship. It seems to me like both graduates end up working in the same place - what's the difference between what they do?

Sorry if this sounds like a naive question, we don't really get much exposure to this program

First of all, what schools have a +1 in Public Health? I know UofC and UofT have certain topics related global health but not sure if public health is an actual one. 

From my understanding, with the 5 year PHPM residency, the entire curriculum is very different. You will get clinical experience equivalent to FM in the first 2 years (even get certified under CCFP), get a chance to do your MPH after that, and follow up with public health rotations as a physician. It's certified by Royal College and I believe you're able to become a Chief MOH after this program. I've spoken to a resident in the program and she said that, generally, if you do the 5-year program, you'll likely do your entire job as public health administration work or AT MOST 80-20 with public health and working in clinical setting as an FM. 

In the FM+1 (or FM+MPH), you have two distinct programs in clinical medicine and public health but overall get a similar experience as the 5-year program. Main difference is that you're a CCFP, not FRCPC and you may be limited in what kinds of work you can do in the future. I've only heard people become Associate MOHs without the 5-year program, not Chief or reach a higher level in public health administration work. While you have a glass ceiling in your ability to work in agencies and gov't. without the 5-year, you mostly do more clinical medicine than public health medicine. 

Basically, main difference is what level you can attain in public health and your split between how much public health vs. clinical medicine work you will likely do. I'm more drawn towards the latter option because I'm interested in working as a FM more than PHPM but still want a hint of public health in my career so i'll supplement. 

Thanks for the info! Do you know if this is a very small program/how many spots? I'm curious because a large chunk of our curriculum is dedicated to public health but there isn't even a clerkship rotation on it and I don't think there is even a PHPM interest group

I think it's a pretty small program, you might have to check CARMS site for positions offered each year. I feel like it was 5-10 spots max. per school. They have electives for public health but a lot of it might be thrown into coursework during pre-clerkship. Start a PHPM interest group if you don't have one :) maybe collab with your school of public health to get it going or find more resources if you do. 

Thanks for the info! Do you know if this is a very small program/how many spots? I'm curious because a large chunk of our curriculum is dedicated to public health but there isn't even a clerkship rotation on it and I don't think there is even a PHPM interest group

You're going to UofT? There's for sure a PH interest group.

Archived