Premed 101 Forums

U Of T General Biochem Requirement At Uwo

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what courses at UWO count toward this Biochemistry requirement?

• One full year course (or two half year courses) in general biochemistry. This course should cover protein chemistry and the chemistry of other biomolecules, cellular metabolism and molecular biology.

Thanks in advance!

It would be best to contact admissions directly to see if the course(s) you've taken (or will take in the future) satisfy the requirements, just to be safe.  

If you call admissions they will likely not be able to tell you, I called to see what courses from McMaster would count and they basically said they don't have a list of course codes from all the different schools that they can refer to. Just look at the course description and see if it matches those requirements.

Thanks for the input everyone. Would this course meet the requirement?

Human Biochemistry - A course dealing with Biochemical aspects of the human condition. Topics in human disease, medical testing, and lifestyle will be considered in a clinical-case-oriented fashion. The emphasis will be on structural and metabolic issues related to carbohydrates, lipids, vitamins, minerals, nucleic acids and proteins.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a question about this (coincidentally).

I will be working full time in this school year so I'm trying to find a biochemistry course to take on-line.

So far I have my sights on the BIOL 3231 (Biochemistry) course offered at Thompson Rivers university.

The course description is:

"This course covers topics on the structure, function, synthesis, and degradation of macromolecules (carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids, and proteins). The biochemistry of DNA repair and intracellular transport of proteins will also be covered."

I also have already taken BCH2333 "Introduction to Biochemistry" at the University of Ottawa.

"The chemistry and biological properties of amino acids, proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, carbohydrates, and vitamins. The course includes laboratory and tutorial sessions."

My question is: will both courses be accepted even though there may be some overlap between them? I emailed to check with the admissions office but they didn't give me a definitive answer. I really don't want to screw up my application this year and waste another year.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Archived