Premed 101 Forums

Tips For Flight And Hotel Arrangements

Hello,

For those you who have interviewed in the states, would you mind sharing which websites you used for booking flights and accomodations? Would it be cheaper to book hotels or use Airbnb? I've never personally used Airbnb so I don't really know how it works. Thanks for the info.

Hello,

For those you who have interviewed in the states, would you mind sharing which websites you used for booking flights and accomodations? Would it be cheaper to book hotels or use Airbnb? I've never personally used Airbnb so I don't really know how it works. Thanks for the info.

If you have airmiles, they would be helpful for hotels. Air BNB will be hit or miss depending on what states you're in. I personally preferred to be on the safe side and just book cheaper hotels, as it was only usually for a night or two.

Flights, use something like skyscanner or even just google flights to keep your eyes out. But youll likely only ever get a few options for dates on interviews, so its not like you can just pick cheap oddly timed flights.

If you are going to use Airbnb, ask the host whether you will have your own room. Make sure it's a room with a physical door instead of a curtain hanging in the middle of a living room. If you are driving to a nearby state, ask about the parking. You don't want to get up in the middle of the night to move your car from one shady place to another shady place. Also, do some research on the neighbourhoods. Last, read the reviews about the host from previous guests. If there is one or two complaining-ish reviews, I would write the host off.

Many schools also have the option for you to be hosted by a current student. It's great because you save on hotel costs and you also get to hear more about the school from a student's perspective.

If you have to book a hotel, sometimes the school will have arrangements with nearby hotels where you can book rooms at discounted rates if you mention that you're interviewing at the school. Usually the school will provide all of this info when you receive your interview invite.

Archived