Premed 101 Forums

% Question

Guest JimmyDragon

Guest JimmyDragon

Hi I WAS wondering when they calculate ur GPA if they rounded.

ex. Say U Get 79.5% in a course will they round it up to 80% to give u a GPA of 3.7 or will they leave it at 79.5% and give u a gpa of 3.3

THAnx for the help

I am fairly certain that since OMSAS uses an integer scale for grades, they would round 79.5 to 80. I don't see how they could possibly justify rounding down -- it's not a mathematically acceptable practice.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Where would one decimal place come into any equation, when dealing with grades? Do any universities out there report grades in non-integer form such as 84.3 or 91.2%? I didn't think so? :rolleyes Also, OMSAS takes each of your alpha and numerical grades and converts them to OMSAS values for the purposes of calculating the GPA. They don't average your numerical grades first. So technically, although rounding could be used for GPAs, I wouldn't have thought that it would need to be used for the numeric grades.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UofT Student

Hi,

At the University of Toronto, the mark for each course on your transcript is given to the nearest percent. So if you actually ended up with 79.5% in a course, the mark on your transcript would depend on whether the professor had submitted the mark as 79% or 80%.

Usually, the professor would submit such a mark as 80% and you would have a GPA of 3.7 in the course. However, a grade of 79.4% would be submitted as 79%, and you would have a GPA of 3.3 in the course.

Hope this helps!

Guest Steve U of T

As I recall from math class a long time ago (probably middle school?), the proper method of rounding any number plus .5 is to round to the nearest even number. This way, the number x + .5 is rounded up half the time and down half the time, since it is just as close to x + 1 as it is to x. Of course, for 79.5, it would be correct to round to 80, but technically, 84.5 should be rounded to 84, although people tend to always round up when the number ends in .5

I'd imagine most profs would tend to round up. Some profs are even nice enough to boost a 79.4 (or sometimes if they're really nice, a 79.0) to an 80. Your raw scores on tests and assignments don't always directly translate to your final grade, and there are sometimes adjustments.

I would agree with the above posts that the prof is responsible for the rounding, and you should be receiving a whole number grade on your transcript, unless your school is really unusual. In that case, if OMSAS received your transcript with a grade of 79.5, I would guess they count it as a 3.3, since they'd probably convert to their gpa scale without first converting to a whole number percentage system.

Guest UofT Student

I agree with what Steve said. The rounding rule he described is used in physics, where you always round numbers ending in .5 to the nearest even. So, 79.5 rounds to 80, but 84.5 rounds to 84.

Thankfully, professors (at UofT, at least) don't adhere to this rule, and always seem to round up, unless they are forced to follow the always-irritating quota rules outlined by some universities like UofT (i.e., only 25% of the class is allowed to get 80%+, and the class average must be within a certain range).

I also agree that if the transcript you send to OMSAS gives marks such as 79.5%, OMSAS would probably consider that to be a 3.3, since the 3.7 level starts at 80% on the dot. Even a mark of 79.999999% on your transcript (assuming it shows marks to many decimal places!) would be considered <80%, and therefore a 3.3 GPA.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Just to clarify, UofT does not have an omnipolicy dictating final mark distributions. I know of at least three UofT departments which have courses where this does not apply, i.e., the marks the students achieve are what is reported. These are Departments of Chemistry, Public Health Sciences and the Faculty of Pharmacy.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UWOMED2005

Just a question. . . what university doesn't round marks on transcripts to the nearest round number?

Are you sure your university won't automatically round things for you on your transcript?

Guest blinknoodle

I had a class where they refused to round up. I had an 89.9% and they refused to bump it up to a 90%.

Nothing you can really do about it, though.

-blinknoodle

Archived