Premed 101 Forums

When Should I Write The Mcat?

markhewitt

Hey everyone!

I am starting the second year of my science degree in September, and was so dead set on writing the MCAT in Summer 2016. I thought it made the most sense because I would have all the recommended courses done by then and the information would be so fresh in my brain.

However, I was on the subway today and I heard a girl talking to a couple of friends about the MCAT. She was saying that you are a complete idiot to write it any year other than your final year of studies because a lot of med schools only look at scores that are one-year old.

I tried finding some information about this online, but couldn't really find anything about this one-year rule.

Is there any truth to this? Would I be completely screwing myself if I write the MCAT after my second year?

Thanks for your feedback!

Pretty sure the point of this forum isn't to answer questions that can be answered with a quick Google search

Have you tried going to the med schools' websites?

Simmer down the heat Sauna. Pretty sure we wouldn't have anything to discuss on a FORUM if we just told everyone to google search stuff... It would defeat the purpose of a forum.  OP said that they tried to google the answer but couldn't find concrete answers. 

OP, I am pretty sure that the person you heard on the Subway didn't have their information correct. Just doing a quick search on the Queen's MCAT requirements and it looks like they require it to be written within the last 5 years. Memorial also has the same 5 year rule. Looks like U of Manitoba also accepts MCAT's prior to 2012. UBC states that September 16th, 2010 is the oldest MCAT date that they will require for this upcoming cycle. That's just a quick cross-section of schools from coast to coast, as I know some med schools (U of A, U of C to name a few) are only accepting the new MCAT scores. I'm not entirely sure about Ontario schools.

I honestly haven't heard of any schools with a 1 year MCAT expiry, as it would be quite ridiculous because you can only write the exam 7 times. In the US, the application process actually frowns upon having multiple MCAT sittings. 

Archived