Premed 101 Forums

No Academic References?

Hi guys

Right now I know I have a few references from volunteer positions that can provide a strong LOR for me.

However my academic connections aren't very strong. I've done very well on courses and can get a prof to write about that and perhaps send them a copy of my CV too to get an idea of what I do outside of class but I don't know the prof very well personally. Alternatively, I've volunteered in a lab helping with studies for a phd student and she can probably write me a good academic LOR but she isn't a prof, is that still acceptable?

Thanks!

Adcoms want to know that you are capable of the rigorous study of medicine; and ideally, that you are an independent (self-reflective) learner.

Your transcript speaks for itself, the referee is there for flavour. The other CanMEDS competencies will be dealt with by the other referee. Ask yourself what will the phd student add which the prof won't include. Which letter would be stronger? 

A week letter is useless.

See my post at:

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/77936-reference-letters-for-omsas/#entry961088

and Appendix 6 from U/C in case any of this may be helpful.

Archived