Premed 101 Forums

course load

Guest choti

Guest choti

Hi,

I am in a bit of a tricky situation. I switched programs during my undergrad, so while next year will be my fourth year in my new program, it will be my fifth year in university overall. I have always taken full course loads in university (five full courses a year). However, next year I could safely complete my degree with only four courses. Would this jeopardize my chances at successfully applying to Dall? Will my grades from my final year even be considered for medicine application purposes? I should also mention that I am an OOP (Ontario) applicant, and that I have two consecutive years with an OMSAS GPA of above 3.7.

thank you so much for your guidance

Guest CaesarCornelius

The best bet is to contact the admissions office (that is what they are there for). As far as I know you need 5 courses, but I thought I remembered someone saying that 4 was ok too. Just call sharon at the adoffice and she will tell you for sure.

CC

Guest choti

Hi Caesar Cornelius,

Thanks for your speedy reply! I looked more closely at the Dal Meds admissions website, and it seems like as long as I have a GPA of 3.7 in my 'last two years' of undergrad study I should be ok. My question is this: do you (or anyone else) know if 'last two years' refers to my last two completed years (i.e. the two years before my year of application), or do they mean my year of application plus the year before I applied?

thanks again!

Guest Cowboy Mouse

the last two years refer to the last two consecutive years in which you completed a full course load (5.0 credits per year).

aside from the technicalities of the requirements, Dal is interested in seeing a consistent level of high acievement under rigorous conditions ,ie full course load of appropriate level courses (3rd year level courses in 3rd year, etc.) in the candidate.

they are quite understanding of missteps in the early years of post-secondary study, and your transcript should show that, if you stumbled early on, you managed to obtain some maturity eventually.

if you only need four courses to graduate, you can go one of two ways: firstly, take a fifth course. secondly, talk to sahron or dr. hughes about taking four courses, and explain what you intend to do with your extra free time (you could volunteer, whatever). they may ok this for the application.

hope that helps

cm.

Guest wannabe

"Last two years" refers to the last two completed years (i.e. the two years before your year of application) but if you get accepted they will check that you maintained the GPA during the year that you applied. So, if you apply during your fifth year of university they are going to look at your fourth and third years GPA.

Dan Hughes told me that Dal is more forgiving in the "must have a full course load" rule than other universities but you have to have a good reason, such as you had a job to pay your way through university and could only take three classes at a time or something good like that. Definitely talk to Sharon but I would say just to pick a fun and interesting (maybe even easy)class as a fifth so that you don't have to worry about it.

Archived