Premed 101 Forums

Categorizing 4+ Years Applicant Vs. 3Rd And 4Th Year Applicants

Hi there,

for students that apply to The University of Toronto's dental school that apply AFTER their fourth year (not during), how do they compare an applicant with a combined GPA for three years (because of the lowest year drop) which is a student who had already graduated, to one who is applying in their 3rd and 4th (applying with two years with lowest year drop)?

Does anyone know whether students who graduate after four years are classified and assessed differently than those who apply in their last year?

My situation is a such where my two past years are 3.97. With my first year, it falls to a 3.84. But, I would be compared to individuals with their two best years with their lowest year dropped?

for students that apply to The University of Toronto's dental school that apply AFTER their fourth year (not during), how do they compare an applicant with a combined GPA for three years (because of the lowest year drop) which is a student who had already graduated, to one who is applying in their 3rd and 4th (applying with two years with lowest year drop)?

Does anyone know whether students who graduate after four years are classified and assessed differently than those who apply in their last year?

My situation is a such where my two past years are 3.97. With my first year, it falls to a 3.84. But, I would be compared to individuals with their two best years with their lowest year dropped?

My understanding is that:

- if you apply in 3rd, they count 1st and 2nd but not your 3rd year b/c they don't have the grades for that yet.

- if you apply in 4th, they count 1st, 2nd and 3rd (MINUS your worst year -> dropped) but don't count your 4th b/c they don't have the grades for that yet

- if you apply as an alumnus and you've done 4 years, they count 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (MINUS your worst year -> dropped) b/c they have grades for all 4 years

My understanding is that:

- if you apply in 3rd, they count 1st and 2nd but not your 3rd year b/c they don't have the grades for that yet.

- if you apply in 4th, they count 1st, 2nd and 3rd (MINUS your worst year -> dropped) but don't count your 4th b/c they don't have the grades for that yet

- if you apply as an alumnus and you've done 4 years, they count 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (MINUS your worst year -> dropped) b/c they have grades for all 4 years

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think they always look at your most recent year GPA (i.e. they never drop it even if it's your worst year)

That's right - but its your 'last year of study' not the year your currently in. So say for example you apply in fourth year, they will not drop your third year marks, since that was your last year of study

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think they always look at your most recent year GPA (i.e. they never drop it even if it's your worst year)

That's right - but its your 'last year of study' not the year your currently in. So say for example you apply in fourth year, they will not drop your third year marks, since that was your last year of study

You cannot apply in your third year and have one year dropped ! Exact requirement from the website :

The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and (B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's last year of study.

You cannot apply in your third year and have one year dropped ! Exact requirement from the website :

The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and ( B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's last year of study.

Yup if you're applying in third year, there shouldn't be any dropping. Just to make sure, when you're applying in 3rd year, they don't really care about the third year GPA right?

Yup if you're applying in third year, there shouldn't be any dropping. Just to make sure, when you're applying in 3rd year, they don't really care about the third year GPA right?

Yup.  Just need to make sure you meet the conditional offer once you get the acceptance.  Which isn't anywhere near 3.9 lol

Archived