Premed 101 Forums

Government student loans

Guest DonaldKaufman

Guest DonaldKaufman

Hey guys,

I got my student loan assessment back today. They're giving me about $10000 (federal + provincial). Has anyone else filled out the forms online and had their applications looked at by the student loans people?

-DK

Guest CaesarCornelius

I filled mine out online, but they are still assessing it. I got married last year so now my wife's income counts into the calculation, I think that Im going to get the shaft this year. O well, just means Ill have to scrape up some money from somewhere..:)

CC

Guest caperchic

DK,

I filled mine out online and have been awarded the full amount (minus $1000 which was, apparently, a previous overaward). I did notice, however, that everyone is initially assessed as living 'at home'. Once your pre-study report is filed, you will be reassessed as living 'away' (if that is your situtation of course!). So, if you are making lots of money during the summer it may be held against you until the pre-study report is filed.

cc

Guest DonaldKaufman

Caperchic,

What is the maximum award, anyway? It's about $12 500 or so, isn't it? I really have no idea how this stuff works...this is my first time doing the student loan thing.

I'm not making much money during the summer (I'm quitting my job in mid-July), so that shouldn't further decrease the amount of my loan. Is there any chance that once my living siutation is corrected to living away from home, I will be able to draw a larger student loan?

-DK

Guest caperchic

Hey DK,

I believe the maximum amount for a student loan (for a NS resident, I'm don't know how the others operate) is $12,600, $6600 for the first disbursment and $6000 for the second. That barely covers tuition, 'eh...I guess that's why people get an LOC!!

Your assessment should state your costs and your resources. The total costs on my assessment were $19,639 (and I assume this would be the same for any student applying for aid who's entering the MD programme). Your resources would be your income in the summer as well as any anticipated income during the year. Maybe your award was deceased b/c of an overaward (it would say that on the assessment).

You should really give them a call and ask why you weren't given the full amount--four years interest-free student loan sure beats monthly accruing interest on an LOC!

Good luck!

cc

(note the smallcaps, CC!)

Archived