Premed 101 Forums

Counselling

fru489

It shocks me  that people actually run these kind of services....just looked them up now but looks like a complete and total scam/waste of money made to exploit rich and neurotic premeds. Sorry, I can't think of a more eloquent way to put it. Have some faith in yourself, work hard, and that's all you can do

I doubt they would have any more information than what you could find through the schools' websites and on here. If you really desperately want personalized advice, you can post on here or go to your school's student advising and speak with someone - for free - who likely has counselled many premeds before.

I completely understand, but I am some what of a non-traditional applicant and want to make the most of my chances. I'm just curious as to how effective they can be and want to hear from people who have actually taken them instead of critics (for which I very much understand the skepticism). 

I completely understand, but I am some what of a non-traditional applicant and want to make the most of my chances. I'm just curious as to how effective they can be and want to hear from people who have actually taken them instead of critics (for which I very much understand the skepticism). 

I know people who have used similar services and they say they've helped. Then again, I know people who have used similar services and have gotten nowhere. On the whole, it's questionable whether or not these services make a real difference, but if you can afford the rather substantial costs, they're not going to hurt. I'd caution to avoid US-based services like MedSchoolCoach and being a non-trad, make sure to find someone who's familiar with the intricacies of non-trad applications, since many services will give standard advice that doesn't necessarily apply to your situation.

Just make sure you've exhausted the free options for advice or application prep before trying one of these services. Even when a paid-for admissions counselor provides good advice, it's very possible for you to get that advice for free. I notice you've made some other posts on the forum and hope that you've gotten some good feedback. A few posters here are generally willing to respond to PMs about individual circumstances, myself included (especially for fellow non-trads). There's lots of good advice floating around online on other websites as well. Counselling services generally aren't bad, they're just expensive and unnecessary.

Archived