Premed 101 Forums

Website To Rate Our Preceptors !

I posted this in the medical student forum but thought I would also share with my fellow mac med students!  

I came upon a site that allows you to rate your preceptors !!!!! FINALLY a site for the medical community and for medical students to rate our preceptors.  I don't know why ratemyprofessors never expanded to include preceptors ratings but this site is called preceptorbuddy.com and completely free to use.  Looks very promising and this is definitely needed!

Just read a couple poor reviews and I'm curious, are these preceptors paid to take students? do they get some kind of credit system for their affiliation with the university? it seems like there are quite a few bad reviews and makes me wonder if these people want to / care to teach or are being forced to.

ALso makes one wonder how much these docs really like their job...I'm going to remember this site if I ever need to be a patient. Says a lot about a doc if they appear to take on hectic caseloads and hate their lives.

I think most preceptors would want to know if there were problems with the rotations affecting students' experiences, and as such would welcome feedback on such. I also assume the goal of the site is to help other students with their rotation/elective choices.

As such, to these ends, I would encourage people using the site to stay constructive about what worked and what didn't. If someone simply says someone was terrible, it's hard to know if this was simply a personality / chemistry issue. It's not at all uncommon for the same preceptor to be loved by some and avoided by others - comes up all the time in conversation.

I would also encourage judgment in concluding whether someone is truly uncaring or simply overwhelmed. If the caseloads are hectic, it's usually because there are a lot of sick patients that need care - there are no special allowances for having a student on the rotation. Teaching is a responsibility of working in an academic centre, and I think most people appreciate all the time our teachers took out of their personal lives for us, and wish to pay it forward.

What I think would be unfortunate, however, is if someone who is trying their best on a busy service, perhaps someone with less experience and ability to juggle the demands on time and attention needed to optimize their learner's experience in addition to a full day of clinical and admin responsibilities, were unduly discouraged by a less-than-constructive review. This doesn't really work to students' advantage.

• 1 month later...

Archived