Premed 101 Forums

How Many Universities Can You Apply At For Nserc?

keepingitreal

Within 1 year, you can apply with 1 person per department, within as many departments and universities as you want. But you can only hold 1 award.

If you have not previously received an award, you can reapply adhering to the rules above.

If you have already received an award, you can still reapply, but note that you will not be given priority during the internal selection process. There are people who have held 2 NSERCs.

Within 1 year, you can apply with 1 person per department, within as many departments and universities as you want. But you can only hold 1 award.

If you have not previously received an award, you can reapply adhering to the rules above.

If you have already received an award, you can still reapply, but note that you will not be given priority during the internal selection process. There are people who have held 2 NSERCs.

Oh ok, is there any advantage to applying with more than one department or university? Does the university you apply to determine if you get the NSERC-USRA? 

Oh ok, is there any advantage to applying with more than one department or university? Does the university you apply to determine if you get the NSERC-USRA? 

What? Well there's the fact that applying to more than one program means more than one chance....

honestly please try and use common sense when asking questions. I understand it's normal to have lots of a questions, but no one can predict for you which university would offer you a USRA vs those that won't.

What? Well there's the fact that applying to more than one program means more than one chance....

honestly please try and use common sense when asking questions. I understand it's normal to have lots of a questions, but no one can predict for you which university would offer you a USRA vs those that won't.

This is my first time applying so I actually wasn't sure how it's decided. I'm not asking for anyone to predict if I'll get it or not. I know it's based almost entirely off marks which is why I was wondering if it would even matter if you apply to more than one department if your marks don't meet the cutoff anyways. For example, does each department usually set its own separate cutoff or is the cutoff set by the university as a whole? This wasn't made clear on my own university's website and I was assuming it'd be the same procedure at each institution. 

I think it's a different at every university. At UofT, the NSERC-URSA decisions are made internally based on certain criteria decided in each department, thus it may be harder to get an award in one department compared to another. This may be different at other universities.

Archived