Premed 101 Forums

Thank you for your offer to answer questions! I wonder if you can speak to the community based and critical inquiry aspects of the program at queens? I'm excited to see that they attend to the lived experience of disability and allow for focused inquiry in upper levels of the program. My background is in sociology so I would like to attend a program with exemplary clinical education as well as opportunities to critically engage with the social making and unmaking of disability, and intersectionality of disability with race, gender etc. It seems like queens is this kind of place, but I would love to hear more from someone in the program :)

Thanks again!

Hello, could you share what was your CGPA and experiences you had when you applied? Also, any idea what Queen's looks for in OT applicants?

I have experiences in volunteering with kids/teens with autism, working with MS patients, volunteering with seniors at risk of delirium and research experience - all throughout undergrad.

I can't say I know exactly what the school looks for in applicants, but from looking at my classmates, I would say they value volunteer or work experience quite heavily, which I'm sure is reflected in your LOI. Good luck!!

Thank you for your offer to answer questions! I wonder if you can speak to the community based and critical inquiry aspects of the program at queens? I'm excited to see that they attend to the lived experience of disability and allow for focused inquiry in upper levels of the program. My background is in sociology so I would like to attend a program with exemplary clinical education as well as opportunities to critically engage with the social making and unmaking of disability, and intersectionality of disability with race, gender etc. It seems like queens is this kind of place, but I would love to hear more from someone in the program :)

Thanks again!

Queen's has this awesome course in the first semester of the first year called the lived experience of disability, where you get to spend half a semester with a mentor with a disability in the community. Depends on the mentor, but typically, you get see their home environment and what their life is like in the community. It really opens your eyes to the issues of accessibility in the community and will probably redefine your understanding of "disability." 

In terms of the critical inquiry aspect of the program - we have a full-year research course in first year and then in second year, you get to work on a project under supervision of your research preceptor. No thesis defense though (phew) as far as I know. Hope that helps and good luck! 

Archived