Premed 101 Forums

Any Chances ?

I have a 3.3 GPA

I will write the MCAT in few months

From Quebec

I have a bacchelor degree in nursing

Any chances ?

I saw that Mcmaster accept until 3.0 ok, I know I don't have big chances but last year 3 person with a GPA between 3-3.5 were accepted and the year before 7...

I would like to talk with someone with a lower GPA who got accepted anywhere :)

The chances are, realistically, quite low. But it has been done when the people have a very high Verbal/ CARS score, and undoubtedly get marked well on CASPer (which is a black box really). Up hill battle, but not impossible. Also, McMaster reserves 10% of interviews spots for out of province.  Take what you will from that, and I wish you luck. 

Keep in mind that those people were likely ON residents, who get 90% of interview seats. Not impossible for OOP, but much harder based on numbers. 

Would you have IP status to apply to Quebec schools and the french stream of Ottawa? You may find the advice/stories you are looking for there :)

It's worth adding that to be considered an Ontario resident at Mac, you only need to have lived in Ontario for thee years after the age of 14. I went to high school in Ontario and lived there until I moved home at age 20 so I was considered in province even though I'd lived in PEI for eight years prior to applying. If you lived in Ontario for any length of time, it's worth checking into whether you meet the residency criteria.

(Edited: it's now 3 years, not 4.)

If you are able to move, I think you may have a shot at Calgary with a solid MCAT - but you would have to wait a year? before applying.  The Ontario schools generally put a lot of emphasis on GPA.  The Mac statistics may include gpa of candidates who were admitted with consideration of disadvantaged status (e.g. métis).  You may have to consider a longer term plan (including more undergrad) to increase your chances.     

Archived