Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Score Release Date

ysr

Hi all,

I am trying to determine whether writing the MCAT on August 25th (with a score release date of September 27th) is a good idea considering my intent to apply to american medical schools. For all of the american schools that I've looked at (that accept Canadians), the primary application deadline is after September 27th, giving me the impression that writing the MCAT on August 25th is fine. Does anyone have any idea whether there are schools that accept Canadians and require the test scores earlier than that? 

As well, I know applying earlier yields a better chance for an invitation to interview. I have an older write of the MCAT from 2013 and was wondering if most schools would accept my old MCAT scores in the interim while I obtain the new MCAT score (and then send them an update), or whether I would have to wait for the new scores to be released before submitting my primary application. 

Hi all,

I am trying to determine whether writing the MCAT on August 25th (with a score release date of September 27th) is a good idea considering my intent to apply to american medical schools. For all of the american schools that I've looked at (that accept Canadians), the primary application deadline is after September 27th, giving me the impression that writing the MCAT on August 25th is fine. Does anyone have any idea whether there are schools that accept Canadians and require the test scores earlier than that? 

As well, I know applying earlier yields a better chance for an invitation to interview. I have an older write of the MCAT from 2013 and was wondering if most schools would accept my old MCAT scores in the interim while I obtain the new MCAT score (and then send them an update), or whether I would have to wait for the new scores to be released before submitting my primary application. 

Are you applying USMD?

If so, August 25th MCAT is waaaaaaaaay too late for a serious application. Most schools already have interview invites by that time, if not interviews themselves.

Just cause the deadline is late, doesn't mean you shouldn't be applying on the first day.  You're an international applicant, so already at a disadvantage.

If you have no other choice, then you have no other choice. But you have to rationalize if you have other areas of your application compensating (4.0 GPA? Strong ECs ? Strong research? Strong LORS? Big achievements?)

Yea, USMD is the plan.

I understand your point about having a really late application and that is obviously a disadvantage. Would it be feasible to apply early using my old MCAT scores from 2013 and just make the schools aware that I'll be re-writing and I can update them if they wish? I know this will probably eliminate my consideration from some schools because my MCAT is from 2013 and would be too distant from the upcoming application cycle.

Is there a reason why you dont just write it earlier? Even writing in July would be better. Assuming your a traditional student who's done with school in mid/late april...still leaves 2.5-3 months for late July test date....which is way more than enough time

I'm a graduate student and I'm planning to defend in the middle of the summer. Writing in late August gives me some dedicated time for studying for the test. I would much rather write the MCAT earlier but I don't think I would have enough time to dedicate for my graduate studies and studying for the MCAT. 

I'm a graduate student and I'm planning to defend in the middle of the summer. Writing in late August gives me some dedicated time for studying for the test. I would much rather write the MCAT earlier but I don't think I would have enough time to dedicate for my graduate studies and studying for the MCAT. 

That makes more sense, 2 year MSc?

I guess without knowing more stats/profile it will be hard to say weather or not its a good idea to apply or wait. 

Yea 2 year MSc. AMCAS GPA is ~3.85 and my previous MCAT was a 32 (12 BS, 11 PS, 9 VR). Looking at the MSAR, I feel like my stats are decent, but that is not accounting for the fact that I am a Canadian applicant. I know some schools look at Canadian applicants similar to domestic applicants (i.e. 4 year undergrad in Canada is accepted) but I believe I would still be considered at a disadvantage due to non-american status. 

Yea 2 year MSc. AMCAS GPA is ~3.85 and my previous MCAT was a 32 (12 BS, 11 PS, 9 VR). Looking at the MSAR, I feel like my stats are decent, but that is not accounting for the fact that I am a Canadian applicant. I know some schools look at Canadian applicants similar to domestic applicants (i.e. 4 year undergrad in Canada is accepted) but I believe I would still be considered at a disadvantage due to non-american status. 

The biggest question is your non-academics and LORs then. IF those are strong, then sure go ahead and apply late. 

I think most schools will wait for updated MCAT results, but you can contact each one individually and ask.

I assume you are also applying to Canadian programs(or have done so in the past)? 

The biggest question is your non-academics and LORs then. IF those are strong, then sure go ahead and apply late. 

I think most schools will wait for updated MCAT results, but you can contact each one individually and ask.

I assume you are also applying to Canadian programs(or have done so in the past)? 

I think I have strong LORs but I haven't looked at the specific LOR formats required by American schools (as I hear they are a bit different and more specific to each school in the U.S. compared to Canada). ECs are probably average but I'm working hard to improve them and gain better experience. 

You are right, I will be applying to Canadian school as well. I applied this past cycle but had no success. I figure writing the MCAT again and getting a higher overall score and much higher VR (CARS) score will yield better results this coming cycle. 

I'll contact each school I'm interested in and see their policy on that matter. Thanks very much for your responses by the way!

I'd reccomend going to SDN and look through school specific threads for the 2015/2016 cycle, and you can gauge when the schools started offering interviews/interviewing, and then you can truly decide if it actually makes sense applying late to the US this year or not. If most of the schools you end up deciding to apply to, majority wise start interviewing well before your application is even complete - then it may be a sign to not risk putting yourself in the "re-applicant" category.

Archived