Premed 101 Forums

Future residency spots

Guest Paregorics2

Guest Paregorics2

What are the pros and cons of being a resident in a residency program that is brand new?

In looking toward the future I see that there are no programs opening up on carms to accomodate the growing number of graduates.

any insight would be appreciated.

cheers

Guest marbledust
In looking toward the future I see that there are no programs opening up on carms to accomodate the growing number of graduates.

Which future are you talking about? This year's match or ones that will take place next year, the year after, etc?

It makes sense that a med school expanding spaces isn't going to lead to increased residency spots until the larger class graduates 3-4 years after they are admitted.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm not sure that I understand your query properly, but some new residency spots did open up this year. ...and a number of them were within surgical disciplines. What exactly were you interested in discussing?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest marbledust
Theoretical or not - I'm referring to residency spots, not medical school expansion. Sure, say this year.

I think I know what you asking, although as Kirsteen suggests, I think you worded it a bit awkwardly.

I was commenting that an increase should be coming in the future due to increased class sizes at several schools--but probably not much this year because typically, from what I have read, the major expansions in residency spots co-relate directly with increases in class sizes. And that is not theoretical.

You do see small increases now and then. But, as one example, you will see larger increases when UBC graduates its first expanded class in 2008 (?).

If my answer doesn't at least partially relate to what you are asking, I am sorry.

Guest Paregorics2

Sorry,

I thought my question was blunt and direct in the first sentence.

"What are the pros and cons of being a resident in a residency program that is brand new."

There is a typo in the second sentence, it should read: "I see that there are NEW programs opening up on carms.." Perhaps this is what misguided the both of you.

my apologies.

Archived