Premed 101 Forums

Word on the street: Canadian Gen Surg programs...

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Given some of the discussion taking place in some other forums, it might be interesting (and possibly useful) to gather the word on the street re: the attributes or recent goings-on of some residencies that are of interest to folks out there. Personally, I have an interest in a couple of surgery programs so I'd be keen to hear some of the experiences and insights for any of them.

Following is a list of the Gen Surg programs in Canada. I'll start in that I've included some tidbits that I've heard on UofT, UWO and Ottawa. If anyone else would care to add some information that they've collected on any of the other programs you can cut and paste the following list into another post and add to it.

heard that UofT is the strongest school for Gen Surg research, but unfortunately has been having a few issues retaining their Gen Surg residents due to the large amount of scut work in years one and two.

Memorial

Dalhousie

McGill:

1) Some of their residents seem very happy with the exposure they receive in the program but mentioned that the hospitals have fewer resources than some facilities in other provinces. (Source: 2 current residents.)

Ottawa:

1) Another program that has an "old school" reputation for working its residents quite hard, i.e., has some of the highest hours per work week among all Gen Surg programs. (Source: 1 non-Ottawa resident and faculty member.)

Queen's

UofT:

1) Supposedly the strongest school for Gen Surg research, but has recently experienced some problems retaining residents in the past few years, purportedly due to the lack of relevant hands-on OR time in the first two years. (Source: 3 UofT surgical faculty, 2 UofT surgical residents.)

McMaster

UWO:

1) Potentially very "old school" in terms of lots of hours and little regard for lifestyle, i.e., time for family, friends outside of the residency, but purportedly the 5-year residency leads to the production of very well-trained General Surgeons. (Source: 1 surgical resident, 1 faculty.)

Manitoba

Saskatchewan

UofA

Calgary

UBC

Laval

Sherbrooke

UdeM

• 1 year later...

Hey Kirsteen,

Just wanted to say your word on the street posts have been quite helpful. You must probably be in the middle of Carms interviews right now, best of luck to you!

Would you be able to comment on the other Ontario school in terms of strengths/weaknesses of their residency program? Thanks a bunch!

Hey Kirsteen,

Just wanted to say your word on the street posts have been quite helpful. You must probably be in the middle of Carms interviews right now, best of luck to you!

Would you be able to comment on the other Ontario school in terms of strengths/weaknesses of their residency program? Thanks a bunch!

Hi there,

Yep, it's primetime CaRMS time on this end at the moment. :)

Regarding the two other Ontario schools, i.e., Mac and Queen's, I don't know anyone who completed an elective there, and I haven't heard much about the program aside from the fact that, like many of Mac's programs, the atmosphere is very collegial. As for Queen's, from what I've heard, the training is very strong as the residents have lots of OR time and again, given the smaller size of the program, it does have more of a collegial feel.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived