Premed 101 Forums

Ortho Surgery In Quebec - Any Ideas How Saturated It Will Be In 5-6 Years?

I know this is not the first thread on that matter but I feel the employment market in Quebec is different, especially because of the language barrier that may restraint Canadian orthopod of coming in Quebec.

I'm currently in clerckship and 100% sure of my interest in orthopedic surgery. I liked every other surgical specialities that I tried (rotation or elective) (gen surg, ob/gyn, plasty, uro, opthalmo) but never as much as ortho. 

Obviously, I don't want to do a residency if I can't work in the end. I don't really wanna move in the US or elsewhere in Canada. 

So any ideas about the future of ortho jobs in Quebec in the next decade?

If you are interested in Ortho, it's a good idea to write all 3 steps of the USMLEs and carefully consider the timing of your fellowships if you choose to do any in the US. With the J1 visa, you are blocked from working in the US for 2 years afterwards.

We have a friend who is an Ortho from quebec and is looking for work at the moment, and he has had zero luck thus far.

Thanks for your input. It is worse than I thought. 

It's pretty bad, but we do know of a few people who managed to find some coveted jobs in Canada. It was about being at the right place at the right time.

If you really love Ortho, again, write the USMLEs during residency and keep that in your back pocket...

Best of luck :)

yea its pretty bad.

PGY-4 from a surgical specialty here, with a lot of friends in ortho. I can guarantee you that jobs are really scarce. 

Who knows how it will be in 10 years however... probably not good but better than know? maybe. Pretty much every program reduced their residency spots. In sherbrooke it has translated from 5 residents a year to only 2.

As the other say: do your USMLE !

And do what you like ! Maybe you won't have your number 1 location but it would be terrible to miss your preferred location and specialty...

Archived