Premed 101 Forums

Research for Surgical specialty in mind

Guest Mimimowmow

Guest Mimimowmow

Alright, I am confused here..

when everyone mention research experience in wutever their surgical choice for residency......wut type of research would that be? Mostly clinical? Coming from a pure basic science research background, I am lost as to where should I explore to find out wut type and kind of research is suitable at least fit my interest and strengthen my profile....?? :(

Guest Steve U of T

I can't comment on what most med students do, nor what is more helpful in getting the residency of your choice, but I do know that there is lots of basic science research available in surgery departments. I am doing basic science research relating to vascular surgery, and I share a lab with a bunch of cardiac surgeons. I also know people doing basic science research relating to general, thoracic and plastic surgery, and urology. Ischemia-reperfusion injury seems to be a popular topic for basic science research among general, cardiac, vascular, and plastic surgeons. I am also aware of basic science work relating to sepsis and transplantation. I'm sure there is lots more surgery-related basic science research being done, although those are the areas I'm familiar with.

There is plenty of both basic science and clinical science research going on in surgery depts... check out the website for your school's surg dept to find out what the dept's research interests are and locate potential supervisors.

Guest Mimimowmow

This may sound pretty dumb...but can someone share with me how they fit in their research schedule through out the 4 years? Mostly Summer?, school terms? Just want to have an idea...thanks.

Guest Steve U of T

I'm not yet a med student, so I guess I'm getting a jump start on my surgery-related research and making contacts among program directors, which is one way to go, although that doesn't help you much.

I was just speaking with a surgeon who used to do research in the lab I'm in now. She tells me that while she was in medical school (at U of T) she managed to spend at least 20 hours per week in the lab throughout all 4 years of medical school (i.e. school terms included), raise her infant daughter, and maintain honours grades all at the same time.

Guest CaesarCornelius

I don't believe that at all. People embellish their stories when they think back.

Sorry to post such a negative post, but I seriously have a hard time believing that.

CC

Guest blinknoodle

I think when you do research may be dictated by the type of research you're doing...

Basic wet lab sort of stuff is generally more time-consuming, and I would suppose most people do it in the summer. Certainly there are projects that might be suitable for only a few hours a week, but I think they are few and far between (especially if you are new to the lab - when will you go if you have class from 8am-4pm every day?).

Computer-based data crunching research (epi is what I'm thinking of) may be more feasible during the school year..

But bare in mind I still think most students do it (if they even decide to do it) during their summers... just look at MD/PhD programs: even then, research and medical school is generally separate.

Guest Steve U of T

I was certainly sceptical when she told me she managed to be in the lab 3 days/week during medical school. When I asked her how she managed that, she mentioned that she had a few afternoons off each week during pre-clerkship for independent study and PBL, which she used to be in the lab instead. She also said she normally sleeps only 4-5 hours per night, so during clerkship she was in the lab whenever she had some down-time. I agree she was probably exaggerating at least slightly, and even if what she said was free of hyperbole, her case is definitely exceptional. I think she only has one paper published based on the work she did in medical school, so I suspect she might have been exaggerating about how much time she spent in the lab. I just wanted to relay the information I received to let people know that there is time for at least some research during medical school (although you'd need to be quite exceptional to pull off 20 hours/week during the school year and/or clerkship).

Archived