Premed 101 Forums

Increasing interest in orthopedic surgery

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

In BC, all I ever hear from the Ministry of Health is how long the waitlists are for knee and hip replacements (due to a higher proportion of older people and other reasons)

Now, I assume that these types of surgeries fall under the jurisdiction of an orthopedic surgeon.

So is orthopedics going to be huge one day? I mean governments all over Canada should start increasing spots in ortho to accommodate the aging baby boomers!

Any thoughts?

Guest cracked30

The applications for Orthopedic surgery were less than the number of spots for orthopedic surgery last year.

It's one of the hardest residencies, with a lot of night and weekend call. And when you are out in practice, you are usually very busy on call nights and weekends.

Guest Shahenshah

some of the people I know who r going into it are doing it for the potential big finanical incentives (yup they r willing to sacrifice their life for it)....in canada, there is a severe restriction on OR time and so you may find it frustrating..but in US, it seems they are definitely one of the top in terms of making money since there is more availability of OR time (cracked30 probably knows better)..

in terms of lifestyle, IMHO definitely one of the hardest one out there both during and after residency..

other pros: similar to the pros of other surgical specialties -eg. the ability to actually fix the presenting problem which can be very satisfying..also I think this is one field that you might not have a problem of other subspecialties trying to enter your field.

I think orthopedics is always huge and will always be on demand..but in terms of demand I think all specialties will almost always have a demand so you just have to see which one suits you best in terms of your personality and likes/dislikes

Guest cracked30

Things you all should know about surgery residency and practice:

1) You will have patients in hospital over the weekends, it is your responsibility to round on them Saturday and Sunday morning. This will cramp your lifestyle if you like to leave town on weekends.

2) Family doctors are getting less comfortable with surgery specific problems, you will get called for simple things from the emerg in the middle of the night. Catheter problems? call Urology; Bone in throat? call ENT; simple, closed fracture? call Ortho; Abdominal pain? call general surgery. You can say no, but the family docs in town will then band together and stop sending you consults because they all decide your a jerk.

3) OR time is becoming less and less available

4)to be continued

Guest physiology

Hey cracked03,

I laughed when I read your post. Wow, I didn't know that it was so much potential antagonism in the medical community.

I've also wondered how I go about "sucking up" to family docs so that they will send their patients to me. If I were a newly established ophtho, regardless of how long waiting times are to see one, I'd still have to suck up and get my name recognized in the community.

By the way, you mentioned in a previous post you matched first choice and first location. Do you mind sharing it? Here or by private message is cool.

Archived