Premed 101 Forums

Switching Into Md/phd After Starting Md?

Just wondering if it's possible or likely for a med student to be admitted to the joint program after they've started the MD program.

Does anyone know what that process is like or anyone who has done it? Would also love to hear what it's like to do the MD/PhD program in general.

Thanks!

It's possible to switch into the MD/PhD program but it's dependent on the amount of funding they have per year and the effects of having an extra clerk the year you plan to enter clerkship.

If you're interested in doing a PhD in basic science, I would advise you to steer clear of the MD/PhD program because it's not set up effectively for basic science research.

Just wondering if it's possible or likely for a med student to be admitted to the joint program after they've started the MD program.

Does anyone know what that process is like or anyone who has done it? Would also love to hear what it's like to do the MD/PhD program in general.

Thanks!

Many large universities allow you to take time off during residency for research (MSc, PhD). I would encourage looking into this. At U of T these residents get to keep their resident pay, with no clinical duties. You can also narrow down your project into something that both interests you and will help you get a job once you complete residency. The same can be said for the MD/PhD program but unless you are already set on what field you want to specialize in it may be difficult. Explore this option!

Many large universities allow you to take time of during residency for research (MSc, PhD). I would encourage looking into this. At U of T these residents get to keep their resident pay, with no clinical duties. You can also narrow down your project into something that both interests you and will help you get a job once you complete residency. The same can be said for the MD/PhD program but unless you are already set on what field you want to specialize in it may be difficult. Explore this option!

I agree with this statement. It seems like it's more and more popular to pursue post-graduate research training during residency.

If you want to do a MSc first to further explore what area of research you're interested in, I encourage you to look into the enrichment year program at Mac.

Thanks!

It's fairly common here at Western to switch into the MD/PhD stream after doing the two pre-clerkship years.

Everyone I know who's taken that path seems pretty happy with it. It's not one I would take personally, in part due to the reasons listed by the other posters, but I haven't noticed too much regret from MD/PhDs at this stage.

I don't know a ton about the MD/PhD program, but I do know that one person in my class switched in when they realized they really wanted to do research. So possible, but I don't know how easy/hard it was. They are the only one I know of who even wanted to, so it's a small sample size. 

It's fairly common here at Western to switch into the MD/PhD stream after doing the two pre-clerkship years.

Everyone I know who's taken that path seems pretty happy with it. It's not one I would take personally, in part due to the reasons listed by the other posters, but I haven't noticed too much regret from MD/PhDs at this stage.

It's interesting that Western does it that way. Most 4-year schools would allow switching after 1 pre-clerk year so that there is a smoother transition back into the MD curriculum. That way the student gets the second pre-clerkship year as a buffer before clerkship.

That's partially why I dislike the Mac MD/PhD program. It's really hard to jump right into clerkship after a PhD. Although you're allowed to do horizontal and block electives during your PhD, it really depends on how flexible your PI is to those commitments. Like any research project, how happy you are with the program will really depends on your research supervisor. The MD program will most likely be supportive of the transfer.

It's interesting that Western does it that way. Most 4-year schools would allow switching after 1 pre-clerk year so that there is a smoother transition back into the MD curriculum. That way the student gets the second pre-clerkship year as a buffer before clerkship.

That's partially why I dislike the Mac MD/PhD program. It's really hard to jump right into clerkship after a PhD. Although you're allowed to do horizontal and block electives during your PhD, it really depends on how flexible your PI is to those commitments. Like any research project, how happy you are with the program will really depends on your research supervisor. The MD program will most likely be supportive of the transfer.

Well, Western doesn't have horizontal electives and all our block electives come after clerkship anyway, so I wouldn't imagine it's a huge disadvantage. Can't say I retained a whole lot from pre-clerkship with only the 3 month summer gap.

Much of what we learn in 1st year, which is half our pre-clerkship material, isn't repeated in 2nd year (we use a block-based pre-clerkship), so a gap between 1st and 2nd year isn't that much different than a gap between 2nd and 3rd - in either case, there'd be 4 years between 1st year material and clerkship.

Edit - Heh, just realized I was crashing a Mac thread... whoops!

It really depends what you want the PhD for.

You will get much better research training doing a pure PhD, middle ground training doing a MD/PhD and not really great training at the residency level.

The trade off is the later you start the PhD the more relevant your research will be.

You also will make a livable salary in residency. In MD/PhD and or PhD, your debts will grow and your stipend is not enough to live on. 

Personally I only ever considered doing a grad degree in residency. You get paid way more than any grad student does and its going to be relevant to your specialty (although not necessarily your career).

Archived