Premed 101 Forums

Best App For Doses ?

• 2 weeks later...

Starting med school in september, but as a pharmacist i thought i would share generally what i think are decent references and some info about them:

Micromdex and Lexicomp - Both are decent but Lexicomp is better because it links to AHFS which gives more accurate info on dosing from american references specific to indication. Micro is decent all around but i feel Lexi has a broader range of indications.

Uptodate: meh its okay for dosing but not really a dosing guide we think of as go to

Epocrates: i know doctors use this in hospital and as a result most pharms do but we arent taught it in school

RxFiles - this is a handbook we have in pharmacy that has dosing, SE, and quite a bit of info and a decent reference made from a group of pharmacists in Sask...of course though not an app so cant help there....

eCPS/eTherapeutics is a canadian pharmacy reference that is okay for dosing, mostly garbage for ADRs but it can help when figuring out a drug available in canada..

also just fyi if you need to know if a drug is available in canada look at the drug product directorate online...if its a drug from a diff country google works but you can also search Martindales

• 3 weeks later...

Starting med school in september, but as a pharmacist i thought i would share generally what i think are decent references and some info about them:

Micromdex and Lexicomp - Both are decent but Lexicomp is better because it links to AHFS which gives more accurate info on dosing from american references specific to indication. Micro is decent all around but i feel Lexi has a broader range of indications.

Uptodate: meh its okay for dosing but not really a dosing guide we think of as go to

Epocrates: i know doctors use this in hospital and as a result most pharms do but we arent taught it in school

RxFiles - this is a handbook we have in pharmacy that has dosing, SE, and quite a bit of info and a decent reference made from a group of pharmacists in Sask...of course though not an app so cant help there....

eCPS/eTherapeutics is a canadian pharmacy reference that is okay for dosing, mostly garbage for ADRs but it can help when figuring out a drug available in canada..

also just fyi if you need to know if a drug is available in canada look at the drug product directorate online...if its a drug from a diff country google works but you can also search Martindales

Just to clarify, UpToDate's drug database IS Lexicomp. In my experience, most of the dosing apps have flaws and I generally never trust it for antibiotic dosing or when treating conditions with limited evidence.

Archived