Premed 101 Forums

Income During Dental School

Are there any current dental student that can speak on this topic?

Ones that understand what "earn" means

A friend of mine writes articles for a optometry forum, I thought that was pretty neat.

So many things you don't know are available until you're actually in.

I'm not in dental school per say but I've always found that tutoring has been a nice way to supplement your income. I personally am really passionate about education though so it doesn't even feel like a burden. 5-10 hrs a week with some flexibility in various subjects / time can be not bad. 

Good luck, 

- G 

I'm not in dental school per say but I've always found that tutoring has been a nice way to supplement your income. I personally am really passionate about education though so it doesn't even feel like a burden. 5-10 hrs a week with some flexibility in various subjects / time can be not bad.

Good luck,

- G

That's a great idea

Some dental schools have summer research you can do and get paid. It's not much, but it's something. Beyond that, there really isn't much you can do during the academic year given that you stay pretty busy.

Outside of school I had a couple of classmates who worked Friday and Saturday nights (non-dental work) for a couple of months during first year - but I think it became overwhelming so they don't do it anymore.

Summer research program is a great way for you to earn some extra income during the summer. During the school year, the workload can be intense. Plus sometimes we have to stay in lab at night and weekends are usually for studying or recuperating from school. Your student line of credit should cover most of your expenses (grocery, rent, miscellaneous expenses), given that you don't buy a car on it. In addition, OSAP can give you quite a bit of money as well as long as you have been out of high school for 4+ years, you don't own a house or a car and your spouse doesn't have any assets/income (they will still give you loans, but it won't be as much) .You can also apply for grants and scholarship within the university that are more specific to dentistry.

All in all, your loans and grants should be able to cover most of your expenses.

I guess you can try to find a job but keep in mind your workload in dental school will be a lot heavier than in undergrad.

Hope this helps :)

Archived