Premed 101 Forums

Asking an undergrad research supervisor for a med school ref

Guest daryn

Guest daryn

I've been involved in a little tiny bit of lab work thus far. So far it's been quite good.

I'm thinking of asking my supervisor to be my reference.

Just how do I

a) tell him that I'm not going to go further on in research*?

and

B) ask him for a reference letter for medical school?

*I would actually LOVE to go further in research but adcoms will just laugh at my app when I apply for MD/PhD. Getting a graduate degree separately is still an option, but I'd much rather get my MD if I have to choose one.

Guest bioboy2007

Do you get along well with your prof? Does he know you well?

I think the latter question is really important in choosing a reference because those references that know you well can provide stronger and more detailed letter for you.

a) I have been considering asking one of my research supervisors for a letter, interestingly he asked me where I see myself in five years and I mentioned that I have been seriously thinking about medicine and hope to be done medical school by then. He replied, "I thought so, you seem like the type" (not sure whether that was a good or bad thing)...anways, off topic here...

I would say something along the following lines (but only if you believe the same):

I am interested in research but am looking for a job where I can work directly with people, applying medical research and scientific principles to them, and that is why I am choosing medicine.

B) This one's a bit easier...simply ask your supervisor whether he would be willing to write you a strong letter of reference for medical school (with emphasis on the strong)...you should be able to get an impression of his willingness to write you a good letter from his response

Guest RedBull33

I've been in this situation a few times (undergrad and then grad school).

I would suggest being completely transparent with your goals. If it's medicine, say it is, and be honest. If you plan on doing research in the future, then say so. If you are in the lab just to get experience, tell them that. And tell them as soon as possible. Just don't be vague about things, because then assumptions are made, and it's usually for the worse.

Then work really hard this year and get the most out of it.

When you tell people your goals, and even if they don't share the same goals as you, you'd be surprised how willing they are to help you along the way.

Guest leviathan

I have been considering asking one of my research supervisors for a letter, interestingly he asked me where I see myself in five years and I mentioned that I have been seriously thinking about medicine and hope to be done medical school by then. He replied, "I thought so, you seem like the type" (not sure whether that was a good or bad thing)...anways, off topic here...

Sounds like a bad thing to me...

Guest daryn
I think the latter question is really important in choosing a reference because those references that know you well can provide stronger and more detailed letter for you.

The thing is, some/most schools need a faculty member to be a reference. I think I have pretty strong references outside of school (or just not faculty but staff only).

I would suggest being completely transparent with your goals. If it's medicine, say it is, and be honest. If you plan on doing research in the future, then say so. If you are in the lab just to get experience, tell them that. And tell them as soon as possible. Just don't be vague about things, because then assumptions are made, and it's usually for the worse.

Redbull, when did you tell your supervisor (in grad school)? Did you want to become a physician prior to grad school or during grad school?

Guest nbmom

I am kind of in a similar situation, I worked for a prof and hse was also my honors supervisor, I fully planned to do a masters with her before applying to meds, she had funding in place for me as well, but I am currently raising a baby instead of grad school a, MSc no longer fits into the life plan, early this year we were in touch around nserc app time, and I hadn't quite made up my mind then, so I still have to tell her when I go in to get a letter from her. Luckily we have a friendship type relationship so it shouldn't be to hard, and I am sure she will be supportive.

I think the best way is just to flat out state that you want to apply to medical school and ask him if he would be willing to write a favorable LOR for you. Unless there was some misleading on your part, I doubt he will hold it against you, and if you have been a good RA, he will probably want to help you out. Academia is for a brave few, profs know that.

Archived