Premed 101 Forums

Cgpa Instead Of Wgpa?

No, it's not meant to boost your GPA, it's because they want your most recent years to matter more.

Exactly. First year grades are hugely affected by background coming in. The people getting A's who went to schools that offered IB/AP and are essentially repeating courses, which is very different from people who didn't get a chance to do those things. So upper year grades are more telling of the individual's actual ability

I disagree but to each his own. Upper year courses are often easier than first year in terms of grading. Also, the people who were getting A's early on I find lose a bit of their motivation to do as well inschool since they have been doing well early on - its human nature to ease up and lose motivation once you are doing well for a couple of years. I disagree that upper years are more indicative of ones abilities because there are a host of other factors like those to consider

I disagree but to each his own. Upper year courses are often easier than first year in terms of grading. Also, the people who were getting A's early on I find lose a bit of their motivation to do as well inschool since they have been doing well early on - its human nature to ease up and lose motivation once you are doing well for a couple of years. I disagree that upper years are more indicative of ones abilities because there are a host of other factors like those to consider

Upper year courses are significantly more rigorous than 1st/2nd year courses, in most cases. The reason that people tend to do better in them is they are more comfortable with the techniques to study in University, more interested in the material (tend to be specialized electives), and have smaller class sizes (better communication with your classmates and facilitators). I believe Ottawa acknowledges that upper year courses are more telling of a candidates academic potential in the long run, and as sunnyy mentioned, first years with stronger highschool backgrounds tend to do better. People screw up first year for exterior reasons, but screwing up later years is more LIKELY to indicate academic struggles. 

Archived