Premed 101 Forums

Is It Worth It To Apply?

Dear all,

I never considered applying to dentistry but since my chance for med is slim, i am thinking about switching to dentistry. My stats are

1st: 3.29 GPA (71.8%)
2nd: 3.03 GPA (67.9%)
3rd:  3.66 GPA (83.3%)
4th: 3.95 GPA (90.7%)
cGPA: 3.4825 GPA
Best two years: 3.805 GPA

ECs: 1 year hospital volunteer, two years research (no publication), 1 month teaching abroad

If you guys think i have a good chance for some schools, i will prepare for DAT next year. What do you guys think. Thanks in advance.

I agree with Nachoolibre. However, I would add that if you complete a master's program, then you might have a better chance at applying to UofT! If you plan to apply to American schools, you will definitely need to continue/improve on your extracurricular activities, score well on the DAT (write the American DAT as well if you want to apply to more schools) and shadow a dentist or more. Also, I think you might have a good chance for some Australian schools! :) I can't remember the exact cutoff scores for interviews, but I remember being shocked/surprised at how low the minimum scores were to likely receive an interview. The catch is you must complete the required prerequisite courses (some course requirements were really specific!).

I agree with Nachoolibre. However, I would add that if you complete a master's program, then you might have a better chance at applying to UofT! If you plan to apply to American schools, you will definitely need to continue/improve on your extracurricular activities, score well on the DAT (write the American DAT as well if you want to apply to more schools) and shadow a dentist or more. Also, I think you might have a good chance for some Australian schools! :) I can't remember the exact cutoff scores for interviews, but I remember being shocked/surprised at how low the minimum scores were to likely receive an interview. The catch is you must complete the required prerequisite courses (some course requirements were really specific!).

Also, you could apply to Irish schools without writing the DAT. You would need to complete the course requirements before applying though so be mindful of that. 

You may have a chance at Western if you get a good reading comp score on the DAT (probably need around a 20 to score an interview and above 21 to be competitive after the interview), improve your extracurriculars and ace your interview. Uoft is a long shot. You'll need to do a 5th year of undergrad to bump up your gpa, and possibly a master's to score an interview at UofT. If you are a Quebec resident, you may have a chance at McGill if you have a stellar CV and personal statement.

Archived