Premed 101 Forums

Should I Cancel My Mcat?

emmaos

Hi guys,

So I'm stuck in a dilemma whether I should cancel my MCAT or not... I'm sitting for the exam on the 10th of sep but I'm not really prepared for it and I just don't feel motivated enough to continue studying. I've been reading up online and it seems like it's "take it at least for the experience and void it" vs "cancel it". I'm leaning more onto the voiding side but how true is it that med schools do not look at voided attempts? Also, if i decide not to void it and get a bad score (but rewrite and get a good score), would this affect my admission chance in any way? I'm aware med schools here look at either your best or most recent scores but the adcoms ultimately will be able to see the bad score in my report. Thanks guys!

Make of this what you will. I would take it, its worth it since you learn a lot about how you test under those circumstances specifically. But you need to fix the whole motivation issue. Just think of it as a right of passage, think about how close that date is and think about how not being a doctor (a bit extreme) makes you feel. That usually gets me motivated. It SUCKS a lot at first (studying), but once it becomes routine you will honestly start to enjoy the freedom of picking what you get to study, practicing from a variety of options and seeing improvement; you need to be consistent for a week+ till it becomes habit.

If intrinsic motivation doesn't work for you, have some extrinsic motivation: Your evil exes gonna be mad hatin when you're ballin with that med school back pack and playing doctor with all those gorgeous other med students (this is a joke, but is what helped me start lifting lmao). Obviously if the date creeps up and you've done squat to prepare there's no sense in taking it since that test anxiety would be due to the fact that you know nothing.

Useful additional info below as well:

MCAT for Various Schools:

Most recent:

• McMaster (only look at CARS)
  • UofT (just as a cutoff)
  • UWO (CP 127/BB 127/CARS 130)
  • Usask (no minimums)

Best MCAT:

• UBC
  • Queens
  • UofA
  • UofC (MCAT with the best CARS score)
  • UManitoba
  • Dal (you get to choose)

To add on to that you won't really get a good refund anyways........ you won't even gain anything financially.

You've invested the time ...... I don't see much of a practical upside if you don't write.

- G

Your problem lies within self motivation which is the responsibility of a chemical in brain called dopamine. When it increases, your motivation level and feeling of well being increases as well. So the question is how to get more dopamine? Run 15-30 minutes a day early in the morning and you will feel refreshed and will get a dopamine rush that will help you with your mcat. 

You are welcome.

Archived