Premed 101 Forums

Ot Vs Pt?

Hello,

I got accepted into both PT and OT at McGill. However, I am really not sure which one I want to do.

I am interested in mental health and enjoy the variety of jobs that occupational therapists can do, but I am also worried because OT is so varied that the job definition isn't very clear. 

I am concerned about job prospects for OT. It seems that at every rehab clinic, there's always at least 5x more physical therapists than occupational therapists. It also seems that the average joe doesn't really know what an occupational therapist is, but most people have heard of physical therapy before...

My other concern is salary. I am under the impression that OTs make less than PTs, however my sources aren't that great so I could be wrong.

Also, is it easier to switch from PT to OT, or OT to PT?

Are classes in one program or the other harder or more subjective?

Let me know what you think.

Have you shadowed individuals working in both professions? It would also help you to shadow PTs and OTs who work in different domains, as both professions are really broad. Ex. someone may highly dislike cardioresp physio in a hospital but love private ortho.

With the Canadian population aging both professions are expected to be in higher demand. I personally picked the profession that I see myself enjoying the most.

It's easier to switch from PT to OT, as PT is more competitive for admission.

Based on course content it would seem that PT is less subjective, but I haven't taken classes in both programs so I could be wrong.

It's easier to switch from PT to OT, as PT is more competitive for admission.

I was hesitant to answer this, but admissions competition is definitely a good point. In the ideal situation, you'd pick the right profession for you on the first try. But if you DO have to double back at some point, it may be easier to go PT to OT than the other way around

I was also hesitant to answer this but I actually got into more PT schools then OT this year. They are both equally competitive now compared to the past. Both are great professions and are needed. Just go with your gut and if you need to switch I bet you can easily make the transition to either field.

I was also hesitant to answer this but I actually got into more PT schools then OT this year. They are both equally competitive now compared to the past. Both are great professions and are needed. Just go with your gut and if you need to switch I bet you can easily make the transition to either field.

Although your situation was the opposite, PT is much more competitive. Grade cutoffs alone eliminate many applicants for PT - ex. the cutoffs for interviews for Mac PT is much higher than Mac OT, and for UofT they invite PT applicants to the interview based on grades alone. UofT OT doesn't have interviews, and the cutoff for reading personal statements is much lower than that for students invited to the PT interview.

There are other factors as well of course, but I think the grade cutoffs alone make PT more competitive. At the end of the day, though, I think you should pick the profession that appeals to you the most.

Archived