Premed 101 Forums

Impact Of Detailed Abs On Gpa Cut-Off?

Hi all, as Ottawa is now considering the full ABS instead of the top 3, what are your thoughts on its potential impact on the high GPA cut-off? 

My wGPA is 3.92, which is definitely on the lower-end of the spectrum. I am hoping that Ottawa would consider an applicant more holistically with the introduction of the full ABS in its review process compared to its previous emphasis on GPA. 

Thanks!

Sorry I cannot answer your question. However, I am extremely curious as to why the GPA cutoff is so high for Ottawa.

At McGill, the gpa average for medicine is 3.8! Why is 3.92 considered low?

It's sorta low but not the end of the world, people have gotten an interview with it. The cutoff for Ontario is 3.85, although the people getting interviews are 3.9+ b/c of the way the gpa calculation is done. Myself is 3.94 which isn't bad, know a few people with interviews with that. The higher you are though in the 3.9's, the more competitive you are. As for the question what is the effect, it could either way I think. But it's just speculation. Guess we'll see around Jan 27th or so.

3.92 is definitely on the very low end in today's environment for a school that does not use the MCAT - but it's not the end of the world.  But for screwing up a few classes, you must definitely have some regret.  But for those with low GPA's like yours, the MCAT gives you a chance at low GPA schools like McMaster (has become low since they implemented the verbal reasoning), or Western or Queen's.  And work on that ABS.  And if you are in 4th year, still work hard at school and don't slack off - get that 4.0!

Definitely apply if you have over the minimum GPA (3.85 I believe)! Can't stress this enough. In Ottawa, people who interview are ranked into interview score groups. They are then ranked within that group by gpa. i.e. if you have a great interview, you can be ranked above people who have higher GPAs than you (i.e. if you are in a better interview score group).  

3.92 is definitely on the very low end in today's environment for a school that does not use the MCAT - but it's not the end of the world.  But for screwing up a few classes, you must definitely have some regret.  But for those with low GPA's like yours, the MCAT gives you a chance at low GPA schools like McMaster (has become low since they implemented the verbal reasoning), or Western or Queen's.  And work on that ABS.  And if you are in 4th year, still work hard at school and don't slack off - get that 4.0!

I can't tell if you're joking or not. If you have a 3.92 you haven't screwed up anything, and you can absolutely get an interview at UofO, even though they're extremely harsh on GPA. It's ridiculous neurotic statements like these that make people warn pre-meds to not use this site.

If this entire post was sarcastic, then I guess you got me.

Yea I don't understand what compels someone to write this. I know you are just trying to be honest, but for reals... no one needs this kind of attitude around here. I don't care what your GPA is, you cant tell someone with a 3.92 that they must "have some regret for screwing up some classes"

Archived