Premed 101 Forums

To Apply Or Not To Apply

I'm an OOP in my final year of undergrad but haven't written the DAT. I know McGill doesn't require the DAT, but I wonder if it's even worth it to apply this year. 

I'm finishing my B.Sc. I'm OOP for McGill. My cGPA is ~3.72. 

Is it worth applying? If anyone has advice I'd really appreciate it. 

Edit: I speak French if it's relevant. 

You might not have a really good chance of getting in, but I think you should apply anyways. The cost of applying is not very high and you may get invited for an interview. Even if you don't get in, at least you will have experienced writing a CVPN and possibly even an MMI interview which will be extremely helpful when you apply again after you graduate. And you never know, the adcom may see something special in you and accept you!

Also I believe it is not too late to register for this november's DAT.

Take this however you want, but I applied to McGill as a Canadian, Non-Quebec last year with a 3.81cGPA and wasn't invited for an interview. I emailed the admissions office and they told me I was ranked 114 out of 272 applicants and offers were only extended to the top 30 applicants. I also know french and thought that because I was in French Immersion for six years that it would help my application, obviously not. There's definitely no harm in applying like 1997 said. Honestly I don't even think they'll really look at your extracurriculars if your GPA isn't up to their standards cause it's weighted at 70% of your application. Even if you're not thinking of applying to other schools this year you should write the DAT and see how it goes, if not well then do it again in Feb. This way when you write the DAT for "real" you'll have the experience of the last two and you'll probably be less anxious and more focused for it. 

Archived