Premed 101 Forums

Md Or Do?

Maxwe11

Hi, would appreciate some input on applying to US MD or US DO. I just received my MCAT score (509 - 127/127/128/127) and have a cGPA of 3.85, with a science GPA of 3.6 - I also have a strong upward trend, finishing with 4.0s in my last 3 years of undergrad. In terms of extracurriculars, it is similar to most premed students (volunteering, sports, working at a hospital, leadership, tutoring); however, I have published a 1st author journal. I would strongly appreciate some feedback on whether my MCAT score is strong enough for mid-tier MD schools? Thank you.  

If you are applying for August 2018 entry, then apply to both and see what interviews you get. 

If you are applying for August 2017 entry, you're much too late for USMD with below average stats.  You can still apply to some DO programs and may have some luck.

If you are applying for August 2018 entry, then apply to both and see what interviews you get.

If you are applying for August 2017 entry, you're much too late for USMD with below average stats. You can still apply to some DO programs and may have some luck.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't planning on applying until next summer. You mentioned that I have below average stats, could you clarify about that, or let me know what the average stats are to get into a midtier MD school. I know that my MCAT is on the weaker side and my science GPA is low, but I figured thay because my GPA is being brought down by one horrendous course in 1st year, I may have a chance due to their holistic methods with file reviews.

Thanks again.

Archived