Premed 101 Forums

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to apply for OT for 2017. After looking at some of the posts here on the forum, I'm really worried about my chances in getting in considering how impressive the experiences of some people are. I'm applying for McMaster, UofT, Queens, and Western.

Currently, my cGPA is 3.48 while my sGPA is 3.85. I have three years experience volunteering with an individual with autism, where I planned various activities for them. I also have experience volunteering in a geriatric hospital for three years where I was able to do shadowing of OTs and PTs and independently lead an activity class. I have also done some volunteering as a teaching assistant in an elementary school class, one of them involved planning activities for a student with a speech impairment. 

In terms of research, I have been volunteer research support at a children's hospital in the emergency department for 3 months, where I screen and recruit participants for various studies. I did a directed research course that involved volunteering with a professor in research for a semester. I also participated did a couple of group research conference presentations.

I would very much appreciate any insight. Thank you very much in advance!

• 2 months later...

I can't really say much about Queen's because I don't know exactly what they look for but your sGPA should get you an interview at McMaster for sure. I know for certain that McMaster's cutoff for interviews last year was around 3.64 and it was 3.63 the year before so I'm guessing it'll be around the same this year which means you definitely have a shot. At that point you just have to do well in the MMI's.

You also have great experience and your research background would definitely help with UofT. As long as you have well-written personal statements and a couple of good references I would say you have a good chance.

Best of luck!  :)

Sup Psych_OT,

Current U of T OT Student here.

Your GPA looks pretty competitive and with regards to your experience, it's really about how you sell yourself. You've definitely got a lot of great things with a decent amount of variety in terms of populations and settings on your resume, but it'll be up to how you structure your application and really relate that to OT that separates a good applicant from a crappy one. I get that you're worried reading other people's posts, but don't stress about the experience of others and worry about what you can control.

Do some research on OT, and sell yourself in relation to that. All things considered, I'd say you've got a good shot. Best of luck.

EDIT: Also, make sure that your references are people who actually know you, your accomplishments and can talk about you personally. 

Archived