Premed 101 Forums

bsc general or bachelor of fine arts

Guest SaraL1986

Guest SaraL1986

Hi there,

I am out of school early with IB and such, I have a good average and my first year tuition is covered. I wish to go into surgery and eventually specialize. I know I can do well in science courses with the exception of physics, but I really enjoy and have a passion for fine arts too. My mom urges me to just do a science degree and be done early (Ib gives me about 24 transfer credits) and perhaps with this I can do minor in art history.

If I were to do a bachelor of fine arts, especially since the studio program is really intensive I would have to do my biochem II during the summer, and perhaps a physics too.

I always think I have my mind made up and then I waver. I don't have to give up art in order to do medicine, I can always do something like a minor in art history, but studio's what I'm after. I want to do as much art and language courses as I can before I go into medicine...but i'm afraid I will lose time, or that this might effect how well I do on the mcat.

I would really appreciate a reply. I know i'm not that clear, but bear with me:) . Thanks

-sara

Guest 1Smiley

Hi,

I'm just curious as to why you're in such a rush to finish things? I would say that you would be enriching your life if you took extra time to do what you love, instead of rushing into med. That would certainly not be a waste of time. Believe me, once you're in it will be harder for you to spend as much time as you want on the things you love. You're obviously quite young, so you've got a bright future ahead of you. Having said all of that, I can empathize with your anxiousness to finish. My advice is just to consider things carefully.

It's hard to say whether the path you want to take will interfere with your mcat. Having a strong science background helps, but it isn't necessary. You'll just have to be prepared to put in the extra time (and it sounds like you will). I found that besides physics, having organic chem, biochem, human phys, and genetics under my belt was really helpful.

Good luck!

• 8 months later...
Guest sweetstuff25

Smiley is right, even if u take an extra year doing what you love to do, u'll thank u'reself later on in life. when u're 30, no one will care whether you finished undergrad 1 year early or 3 years late. take time and decide but never cut yourself short because you may regret it later.

Archived