Premed 101 Forums

Unmatched Applicants - Which Programs Will Not Look At You Again?

So - I know there are typically 2 strategies to adopt if you go unmatched: 1) find a second round spot or 2) re-do CaRMS the following year with hopes of matching in Round 1 to your specialty.

WIth option 2 - some programs are notorious for being accepting of this. For instance, optho gunners can do an extra year of research or masters and then apply again and can have a pretty good shot of matching.

But are there programs that are opposite - if you've gone unmatched while applying to them, they will be strongly opposed to you applying again in your second try? For instance - emerg and anesthesia: competitive and have high numbers of students who don't match and applied only to them. Anyone have any idea of how they feel about a second try app? 

Particularly those that have gone unmatched - what was the general attitude about re-applying to your desired specialty? Do many people match second time around (not second round, but next year CaRMS) to what they want or do they concede for something else?

To OP, I think that you could talk to your school's guidance counselor on CaRMS strategies. The best way would be talk to current anesthesia residents at your school to know their feedback.

There is a good match that you WILL MATCH IN THE FIRST ROUND. I understand that you are worried about your late interest in anesthesia, but I think that the programs are looking for the best candidates for residency. You could develop anesthesia skills during 5 years of residency program.

I do understand that you are preparing for the worst scenario.

Best of luck!

So - I know there are typically 2 strategies to adopt if you go unmatched: 1) find a second round spot or 2) re-do CaRMS the following year with hopes of matching in Round 1 to your specialty.

WIth option 2 - some programs are notorious for being accepting of this. For instance, optho gunners can do an extra year of research or masters and then apply again and can have a pretty good shot of matching.

But are there programs that are opposite - if you've gone unmatched while applying to them, they will be strongly opposed to you applying again in your second try? For instance - emerg and anesthesia: competitive and have high numbers of students who don't match and applied only to them. Anyone have any idea of how they feel about a second try app? 

Particularly those that have gone unmatched - what was the general attitude about re-applying to your desired specialty? Do many people match second time around (not second round, but next year CaRMS) to what they want or do they concede for something else?

I know of people who matched to emerg and anesthesia in the following year, after not matching in their first time around. And so yes, it is possible. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why they would be opposed at you trying again the year after. At worse it raises a "flag" : why didn't this guy match the first time? At best, it shows true dedication and motivation towards the program.

A big part of the match is chance, and another one if strategy. You might be a great candidate, but had bad strategy with your research, electives, etc, and then chance was not on your side. This does not mean you are a bad student.

I was unmatched the first time. The next time, I got much more interviews, and I heard PDs say that some of their best residents were residents that were unmatched the first time.

Just keep working toward your goal and try not to look too far into this.

• 5 weeks later...

You mention emerg, and emerg will be difficult to match to if you don't match in the first round of your first year of applications. It's not impossible to re-apply and re-match, but the emerg pool continues to grow and is full of exceptional applicants, so it can be tough to get programs to take a second look at you.

Archived