Premed 101 Forums

Brodie Centre Gym

Guest tim23

Guest tim23

I'm getting a new gym membership, so before I sign up for anything too long term, I've got a few questions about the gym...

is it free for med students? if not how much $?

do they have exercise balls availible?

is it overly busy?

is there a sauna?

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Tim

Guest fever meds

well i haven't used it, so i only have a partial answer.

1) not free. but very cheap (i think slightly less than 100 a year). membership is also valid at the fort gary campus which is awesome because they have extensive facilities

2) they do have excerise balls, because I have seen people using them

3) it never appears to be overly busy, but again, haven't used it so cannot really say

Guest j100

Hey Tim,

The Brodie gym is very convenient as it is located close to where most of your classes are. With that being said it can be at times a little on the small side. It seems to be utilized alot by not only U of M but also HSC staff. It can be very busy at times. Typically 12-1pm, and 4-6pm are crazy times during term time. The facilities are decent with all the standard equipment (they do have exercise balls). Unfortunately, there is no sauna although there is space dedicated for a sauna and pool but they ran out of money when they were building the gym a number of years ago (it now sits as vacant space). With a membership you can also use the facilities at the Fort Garry campus which are more extensive (Large track, pool, squash courts, climbing wall etc.). Fees for the gym are good. They seem to be always changing. Something tells me they are about $100/year right now.

Hope that helps. :)

Congrats on your acceptance!

Cheers,

J.

Guest studentz

The undergrad campus is far as hell. When I took the bus it was at least a half hour each way. You'd need a lot of free time to do anything meaningful with that type of travel time.

Guest tim23

thanks guys, I'll probably get one from them even if I don't use it all the time, wish they had a sauna though- I messed up my back a while back (hearniated disc) so I usually warm up/stretch in a sauna.

Archived