Premed 101 Forums

Seedy ares in Winnipeg?

Guest Vitor Belfort

Guest Vitor Belfort

From the " what is winnipeg like" thread...it says if i stay away from the seedy areas i will have a safe and enjoyable stay.

What are the seedy areas in Winnipeg?

I plan on joining a martial arts gym located on 2 Donald unit 5.

I heard its located in downtown....

I also dont own a car so i'll be travelling everywhere by bus.

So 2 questions;

1) Is that area relatively safe at night? Classes end there at 9:15pm and i will be travelling by bus...?

2) How long would it take me to get from 2 Donald unit 5 to the U of M campus by bus???? ( I will be living on rez)

Thanks!

Guest Vitor Belfort

Oh by the way, Im starting first year undergrad at the U of M in september, and i've only been to Winnipeg once in my life.

Guest 1Smiley

Hi,

Not that I'm an expert in city safety, but the location of your martial arts place is on the outskirts of downtown (i.e. not in the core area to which was being referred in another thread). So, you should be reasonably safe. As you probably already know, when you're walking around anywhere at 9:15pm you must be aware of your surroundings.

I think you will be about 20 min way from the campus by bus, but that time can be longer, depending on the bus schedules. You'll probably have to take a route 60 bus from campus to Pembina Hwy (can get off at the first stop after the bus comes off University Cres) and a 62 from there, which should pass right in front of your destination (don't take the 62 from the U of M, unless you want to take the scenic route). You can take a 60 to downtown as well, but until you get familiar with the area, you might not want to do that as it involves a few minutes of walking.

Winnipeg is a great city! Really;)

seeing as how I live in the core area, I think I should be pretty knowledgeable...

where your martial arts place is located is actually a fairly safe area of the downtown. it's located pretty close to the 60 bus route (~5-10 mins away from the bus stop probably) and is also just off osborne village. I would be concerned if the place was located in say, chinatown or along the seedy parts of main or along ellice, or heck, alot of places, but seeing as how it's not, I wouldn't be too concerned. just try to avoid going alone at night to those places that I listed, and you should be fine. avoiding eye contact with seedy looking people, and being polite but prompt if a bum asks for cigs/money will help you to live too ;)

Guest BlackNeon

I've lived in Winnipeg all my life, and I wouldn't have any trouble walking throuh that part of town and taking the bus at that time of night. :) (That being said, I'm a really tall guy.. which may intimidate any strangers)

I wouldn't really consider where your martial arts is located as "downtown". As mentioned, its more on the outskirts and closer to osborne. The 60 Bus should go directly from Donald St. down to U of M Campus and shouldn't be more than 20 minutes night.

Is there anything in particular about this Martial Arts place? You could look for a closer establishment.. I know of a few places closer to the U of M.

Guest Vitor Belfort

Thanks for the reply's everyone!

A 20 minute bus ride seems pretty convenient! The martial arts gym i trained at in Calgary took me an hour and 15 minutes by bus/train.

Blackneon: Its a Brazilian Jiu jitsu martial arts gym. The instructor is one of the very few black belts in canada.(I believe there are only 5).

And im a tall guy too. About 6'4 210lbs:)

Archived