Premed 101 Forums

What is Winnipeg like?

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

I've never been to Winnipeg, but I'd like to apply because the program sounds interesting, and the selection process sounds like it would work better to my advantage than the process at other schools.

My brother went to Winnipeg recently and provided a description that makes me second-guess whether I want to apply there now. I'm wary to trust his description, but since the atmosphere and living environment really means a big deal to me, I take it seriously.

He said Winnipeg was generally pretty dirty, pretty scary, and not an environment he would enjoy living in. This description is based on only the downtown region, including what he believes was the region around the medical centre (he said he saw a hospital, and based on his description of the location, it sounds like it's the Bannatyne campus).

I hate to base my decision to apply on something so speculative, but on the other hand, I really get emotionally affected by my environment (probably more so than most people, and it's not something I can really control) - and in some ways I think I might actually be happier to wait an extra year and apply to a location that might make me happier (closer to home, warmer climate, and to a lesser extent, nicer area).

Am I being stupid about this analysis? Is my brother's description pretty unrealistic? I'm trying to minimize the number of schools I apply to as an out of province applicant, and as silly as it may seem, this could be the sinker for UM for me, unless someone can tell me it's nicer than it sounds.

Guest coastal79

The word I used to describe Winnipeg after going there for an interview this year was "gritty". I wouldn't call it scary, but last year I had a pimp for a neighbour, a prostitute living above me, and lived in a neighborhood filled with US soldiers and illegal immigrants....... Unless you have had significantly different lifestyle experiences than your brother, his impressions would probably match your own. I honestly didn't love Winnipeg, but I thought that it would be an extremely interesting place to live and it was my number 3 choice out of the 7 schools I applied to (Queens and Western ranked above). You have to remember though, that I was only there for a weekend.

I'm sure those who are actually from Winnipeg can give you a much better idea of the city, but I thought I'd offer my first impressions.

Guest brandonitejr

I will admit that the area around the medical school/hospital is a little tough... I wouldn't want to walk around there late at night. But, I believe that the majority of medical students don't actually live near the Bannatyne Campus. It just so happens that the medical school is in one of the rougher areas.

Winnipeg can be a very beautiful city! The current mayoral campaign seems to be focused on rejuvenating downtown... there is a new arena (opening this fall I believe...) and they always seem to be improving and expanding the Forks area. There are many interesting and small "suburbs" of Winnipeg - St. Boniface, Osborne, and many more, which are all unique. A lot of medical students actually live at the main campus, as there is a shuttle back and forth between the two campuses many times a day.

I actually like Winnipeg a lot, but that could be that I'm a Manitoban and I know where not to go, but more importantly where to go. :) My advice would be, if it's possible, to apply (since the application fee is only $50) and to come check the city out. They give you a booklet detailing some areas of Winnipeg to visit, and I'm sure that the med students will give you some advice. :)

Guest Koppertone

I actually had a really great time when I went there. All of the people were incredibly friendly (I guess that's why they call it "friendly Manitoba") and even though I was downtown I thought it was pretty decent compared to what I had imagined. I've heard there is lots of crime in the downtown core, but I didn't see much of it and went on tours of Parliament and down to the Forks. I was really hyped up to go there, but Alberta is just a lot closer to home for me. I'd say it's worth the $50 to apply, if not just to get to see Winnipeg for yourself and make your own judgements.

Guest ManitobaMed

With regards to downtown:

Indeed, the area immediately around the med school (Winnipeg's "core") does kind of suck; that being said, I live on HSC property and am still pretty comfortable going walking as long as there's some daylight left. Even after dark, I don't hesitate to walk to the grocery store or 7/11 if I need anything. Bannatyne campus, for all that it's not in the best part of town, is actually quite nice, with a large glass atrium as its main architectural highlight, and is located within easy walking distance of Winnipeg's "Exchange District", one of the city's cultural hubs, and Chinatown (which might technically be in the Exchange, come to think of it). The advantage to a core area hospital: you get to see firsthand healthcare to an extremely underserved population and can come to understand the numerous factors aftecting this population's health.

Otherwise:

In reality, though many students live in the med apartments, most live outside of Winnipeg's core downtown area. A number of students live in Osborne Village, which is a trendy, young people part of the city with numerous restaurants, shops, etc. Still other students live in the area around main campus (few, if any, actually live ON main campus), Fort Garry, which is largely a middle class/upper middle class residential area with a several apartment blocks and a whole lot of houses but which also has the advantage of housing various box stores and restaurants (on Pembina Highway, which runs straight through Fort Garry).

Having visited a number of cities in Canada, I'd say Winnipeg is just that -- a city. It has its seedy spots, but these make up a small minority Winnipeg's total area. Frankly, I'm surprised your brother commented on the stuff he did and failed to mention Winnipeg's atrocious version of "city planning". Streets meeting at 90 degree angles? What are those???

Guest sweetstuff25

Personally I don't mind winnipeg. I have lived here for over 8 years and I used to to live in australia. As long as you live away from downtown, it should be a comforting experience. The communities are friendly and it is very easy to drive because of decent traffic. the shuttle bus to bannatyne campus is probably the best advice if you live away from downtown. the only problem about winnipeg is the extreme climates. my roommate who is from ontario hates the weather! since i've lived here for a long time, i got used to it, the summer mosquitoes are kinda annoying but what can i say? it's easy to make friends cuz ppl are really nice, so check it out for yourself.

Guest avisee

Thanks for the reassurance. That certainly does paint Winnipeg in a more realistic light. My brother was basically just downtown, so I wouldn't mind the place if that's not representative of Winnipeg as a whole. But his girlfriend was also telling me about how a lot of the downtown looked on the verge of gentrification, so that could mean that if I were to study at UM, the whole downtown would be changing over the next 5 years anyway.

Interesting to consider. I'm still pretty sure I won't be applying to all of the schools I'm considering (for financial reasons as well as not wanting to bother my referees too much!) but Manitoba's still not out of the running...

• 1 month later...
Guest wannbeMD

Well, don't let your brother's description sway you from applying there. Yes, the Bannatyne campus is located in downtown Winnipeg and is a little "rough", but not any bad compared to other major Canadian cities. In fact the campus itself is very beautiful. Trust me, you don'y have to fear for your life there.

Outside that immediate area....which is only minutes away, are very exciting and interesting places. Winnipeg has "character" which you won't find in any other Canadian city. The people are extremely friendly, and the crime rate is very low. You can go to The Forks, Osbourne Village, and Corydon St. where there are numerous restaurants and cafes teeming with young socialites.

This may be somewhat biased because I was born and raised there, but I've been to many Canadian cities, lived in California (San Francisco Bay Area), and now live and work in Florida and would say that Canada, and Winnipeg itself is a very nice place to be (except for the harsh winters if you are not used to it).

I say apply there, and if you get a chance to visit, do so because you'll get a real feeling for what the city is really like. It's definitely not a "dirt and rough" city.....I would say that is truly the opposite.

Guest 1Smiley

wannabeMD,

Just wanted to say that you summed up everything quite nicely- couldn't have put it better myself. Having lived in the 'peg for the past 16 years, I fully agree with everything you said.

I worked the past summer in a lab with visiting scientists from Europe and Asia. Never once has any of them complained about the 'roughness' or 'dirtiness' of Winnipeg. The weather can be strange at times (adds variation to life!), but unless you venture into the seedy areas of town (every city has these) looking for trouble, your stay in Winnipeg will be a enjoyable and safe.

Avisee, I hope that you seriously consider applying to the University of Manitoba. Through research into the U of M's med program, it will become clear that it is a strong program that will prepare you well for a med career.

Archived