Premed 101 Forums

UMan & Community Med

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

From the list of clerkship rotations posted in another thread, it seems like UManitoba places an especially substantial emphasis on community medicine. Is that true? I think I'd like to work in community medicine, so I'm thinking it could be a good idea to apply to Manitoba.

To the current Manitoba students, do you find that community med gets a lot of attention in the preclerkship curriculum as well? Does anyone know if Manitoba actually does put a greater focus on this area than other schools? I know some schools like U of T have horizontal preclerkship community health classes but I've never heard of mandatory community rotations in clerkship.

Guest ManitobaMed

In block I of preclerkship, one of our main subject areas is "Population Health", which is taught primarily by the community medicine people. Block 2, our Human Development block, also includes some community medicine-type stuff. Later blocks -- our core medical blocks -- often include "burden of illness" lectures, where we learn of the financial and societal costs, as well as prevalence and incidence figures, for diseases within a system. In block VI, for example, there is a burden of illness lecture in our GI section. We learn about world and Canadian stats on conditions like irritable bowel and hepatitis.

Frankly, all I know about the community medicine section of clerkship is that we're required to complete a paper on the subject, so hopefully someone can give you a more complete answer on that. :)

Guest MiniMedGirl

Ditto to ManitobaMed said but

There is not separate Community med core rotation in 3rd year although you do community med stuff in MSR and in your family med rotation. Youalso have to do a mandatory research paper in a community health topic of your preceptor's choice while you are in your MSR rotation.

thanks manitoba med for the clarification...

Guest ManitobaMed

Hello MiniMedGirl!

You will be *thrilled* I'm sure to learn that in fact we do have a separate community medicine section in clerkship, complete with project. It's part of MSR. There also appears to be an oral presentation included. woohoo. :(

www.umanitoba.ca/facultie...dicine.htm

For everyone else, an overview of community medicine in the U of M curriculum can be found here:

www.umanitoba.ca/facultie...ission.htm

Guest Ian Wong

As a residency, Community Medicine falls on the easier side to obtain. In this year's CaRMS match, there were 6 applicants for 10 residency positions across Canada. Of those who ranked it as their #1 specialty, 83% not only matched into that specialty, but also matched at their top choice program. There was 1 unfilled spot at U of A, and 2 unfilled spots at UBC.

www.carms.ca/stats/stats2004.htm#choices

www.carms.ca/stats/stats2004.htm#first

www.carms.ca/stats/stats2004.htm#vacant1

I think most med schools are putting some emphasis into community medicine via courses in the biopsychosocial determinants of health. There's usually also some sort of course in epidemiology, and some discussion of public health and applications/methods in evidence-based medicine.

Still, the majority of the emphasis in medical schools is trying to cover a little bit of everything, and graduating relatively undifferentiated new doctors. Residency (and fellowship) are the times when you really start to cone down to one specialty, or one area (subspecialty) within that specialty.

As such, I think that you'll stand a strong chance of matching Community Medicine from any Canadian medical school, and chances are that the community medicine component of any given school is probably pretty equivalent.

Ian

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey Ian,

While I'm certainly not in any position to comment on the community medicine courses at other schools, I'll just note that the U of M does like to take pride in its community medicine/population health stuff, and historically, U of M students tend to excel on the population health section of the MCCQE. (We do have to be good at something, after all. :) )

Guest byjude

Oh, this is a good thread!

I'm interested in community medicine too, avisee - it's good to finally meet someone else with the same interest.

I've sort of wondered the same question myself, but I'd guess it probably doesn't make a huge difference which school you go to for undergrad medicine. I bet even schools that don't explicitly seem like they may be strong in this area might end up offering a great learning experience (eg, a U of T clerk during the SARS outbreak might get some very useful hands-on experience with community medicine concerns, and unfortunately, I'll bet there's only going to be more and more community health concerns in the future with a return of SARS, West Nile, influenza, etc etc)

Archived