Premed 101 Forums

Where to go for undergrad? (UofWinnipeg or UofManitoba?)

Guest PerfectMoment

Guest PerfectMoment

Hi,

I'm at that point in my life where i've gotta decide which university/program i should get into. I'm wondering if any of you have advice as to which university i should attend. I've narrowed down my choices to the UofW and the UofM only because i want to live at home. What are the pro's and con's of each institution? Keep in mind that I'd like to major in history, possibly have a double major in history and biochem with the end goal of getting into medicine.

I know that the UofW is pretty famous for their Maclean's ranking but i've heard that the ranking holds little weight. As well, I know that the fact that they have smaller class sizes is a plus for many, but will it make THAT much of a difference? Also, i've heard that professors are much more approachable than say, the UofM, thereby making letters of reference easier to obtain and makes getting subject help easier. How are the history and chemistry depts/profs in the UofW? As well, one of the big things for me is that generally, from what ive heard at least, the UofW kinda lacks a social aspect to it. Now granted, partying and whatnot is not the main thing i want out of University but after a week of classes and studying, it'd be nice to have some beers and party it up a bit...

The UofM on the other hand is a bit of a mystery to me. One either really likes it, or really despises it. I know that university 1 courses at the UofM are crowded and impersonal, as they are at most universities, but will class sizes be significantly reduced as i get more specialized? Furthermore, I like the whole idea of university 1 and being able to choose whatever courses and from whatever faculties I want... but can't you do the same thing in other universities through electives? I know one thing for sure though, the nightlife and social aspect of the UofM is a given :P

thanks, PerfectMoment

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey PerfectMoment,

Because I did my undergrad in Ontario, I'm not really qualified to answer this in its entirety.

The U of W has a reputation for generating quite a few med students, and most of my U of W alumnus classmates seem really happy with their undergrad experiences -- particularly because of the smaller classes. The U of M students, however, also seem fairly happy with their undergrad choice, though not to the same extent as those who attended the U of W (this, however, tends to vary from person to person). That said, I'll try to ask around and find out some specific likes/dislikes and details regarding the social scenes and history/chemistry departments for you. :)

As for the choice of a bigger vs a smaller school, here are some factors to consider:

- smaller schools allow more student-instructor interaction (can be good or bad depending on your learning style -- definitely a plus if you want a reference from an instructor)

- bigger schools tend to have greater variety in terms of majors and course selection

- it can be easier to get involved in extracurrics at a smaller school, but there might be more variety at the bigger school in terms of what you can get involved in

- research-based institutions (usually the larger schools) frequently hire based on RESEARCH ability, whereas smaller schools consider TEACHING ability

Final note: Consider scholarships. If I recall correctly, both the U of M and the U of W have automatic scholarships based on academic achievement; it might therefore be beneficial to look into which scholarships you're eligible for at each school.

Good luck with your decision!

Guest PerfectMoment

Yeah, i'd basically be getting the same amount of scholarship money at either school because of my IB score or entrance scholarship mark thingy (although I think UofW gives a teensy bit more)

• 7 months later...
Guest sweetstuff25

I chose UofM because it has more variety in courses and extra curricular...plus if you wanna get into med skool the % of ppl gettin into medskool from uofM vs. uofW is quite equal.

Archived