Premed 101 Forums

good luck waitlistees!

Guest brandonite

Guest brandonite

I think everyone on the waitlist is supposed to find out their rank today. I just wanted to wish all of you good luck!

And at least one of you is going to med school after I send in my request to defer! :)

Guest JSS02

Hey brandonite,

So you've decided on Manitoba? Or are you allowed to defer and still apply to the US for MSTP? Good luck with whatever you decide... take care

(BTW, I'm VC15 on the SDN board)

Guest mbpq

Hi Brandonite,

you seem to be a great source of information and I was wondering if you knew when the waitlist rankings will be mailed (or if they do get mailed at all)? If anyone else can answer this, feel free.

Thanks

Guest brandonite

VC15 - I have my AMCAS all ready to submit. But that is another story for another time... ;) U of M has yet to convince me that they will have a MD/PhD program up and running anytime soon. I want to keep my options open until then.

mbpq - I hang around with med students and with people on the waitlist, and I work a few blocks away from Bannatyne, so usually I am relatively 'in the know'. They said in the initial waitlist letter that they would tell you where you stood on the waitlist on June 28th, but supposedly that is when they had their meeting about that. I guess they have the positions basically settled, and will be making the final determinations early next week. Charles goes away on vacation next Wednesday, so the letters should go out Tuesday sometime. They seem to release some info over the phone, so you might be able to call them on Tuesday or Wednesday to find out your spot if you don't want to wait for the letter. Hope that helps...

Guest Townie

OK, I'm a little confused. It does not explicitly say on the letter that we will be informed of our ranking on the waitlist -- it just states that the wait list will be ranked on June 28th. I just assumed that, like other schools, our ranking on the wait list remains confidential and that it would be impossible for the admissions office to notify us of our standing. But then again, you know what assuming does!

So, with these letters they are sending out, will it just say "you are x on a wait list of y people", or could it actually inform us of a spot in the program seeing as though the waitlist letter also stated that additions could be made to the class starting the week of July 3rd?

Cheers!

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey townie,

I have no idea what the U of M is doing this year, but a quick perusal of last year's posts suggests that waitlist rankings were indeed sent out near the beginning of July last year. (The posts are dated July 8 to 10, 2001 and can be found on page 2.)

Good luck! :)

Guest brandonite

OK, I have more info.

Yes, you will get a letter telling you where you sit on the waiting list. They mailed the letters yesterday, actually. If you live in Winnipeg, you might get them tomorrow. This info is from someone on the waitlist that I talked to today at lunch.

Guest Waitlistee

Thanks for the first hand information Brondonite :)

Seems like it's a "rolling admission" when it comes to getting people off waitlist.

Guest brandonite

I don't want to give an exact position, because it is not my place to tell this over the internet, but they were nearly halfway through the first ten. Like between 4th and 8th. Good enough? :)

And it is my thoughts that the waitlist will keep on rolling along. It seems to be going a bit faster than they anticipated, though. That's just based on the fact that they have already let in a fair number, and they said they didn't plan to do that until the 17th in the letter, if my sources are right. Hopefully that is good news for all of you!

I was wondering if someone can explain something to me: when you are offered admission, how long do you have before you accept or decline the offer (ie., is there a time period)? The reason I am asking is because I am trying to understand how the wait list works. Perhaps, someone can clarify all this for me. Thanks.

Guest chochi

Hi Anon and mbpq,

I was also wondering what the allowable time frame is with respect to accepting/declining offers of admission for U of Mb. Any info that others may be able to provide in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I just found out that the list has moved (8) positions since it was initially released on July 3rd. That is actually quite a brisk pace, when compared to the rate in which friends of mine were called from the waitlist last year. So, my advice is to hang in there and keep your chin(s) up! There are still (6) full weeks until the first day of classes (after orientation week) and (7) weeks until they will no longer accept students. But, I think even with this policy, which is explicitly stated in the University's admission brochure, there is flexibility. I've heard of people joining the incoming class up to 2 weeks after the first day of classes.

So perhaps there is reason (in my opinion) for at least some cautious optimism and yes, even hope.

Keep your chin(s) up and all the best luck to everyone.

P.S: Just to put some innuendo to rest, I know for a fact that fully 25% (up to, or greater than 21 people in most years, with last year acting as an anomaly (n=17?)) of the U of Mb first year medical class have been eventually asked to join the class off the waitlist. As someone has already said on this website, once your in med school the world is your oyster!

Cheers,

Chochi

Guest sazzafrazz

The waitlist is moving at a much better place than last year. The actual number taken from the waitlist (in province) was 12 not 17 as mentioned above. I believe the out of province moved @ 11 +/- 1.

You have two weeks to accept or reject the offer officially. Unofficially, some people have been known to delay accepting and don't let the school know until the last minute that they are not going to U of M. Last year there was quite a bit of movement in the last week (orientation week) before school started - at least 6 or 7 spots.

So keep your fingers crossed. The waiting list is a tough draw however at this point if you don't have an acceptance letter in your hands, it is the best place to be.

Good Luck, Buckle down for a long ride and keep the faith, you all deserve to be there. Just keep the positive reinforcement going.

saz

not the greatest news sazzafraz, since I am on the other side of 12...why would they say 15-20 in the letter if that's not the trend?

Guest chochi

Sorry about posting the wrong information (ie: 17) in my last post as I had heard 2 estimates and have been saturated with speculation. I trust Saz's opinion and looking back I was being far too emphatic during such a tenuous process. Must be all that purple paint eating away at my brain! :) Long story.

One question I do have is about this 15-20 estimate that came in our letter and that mbpq mentioned. Is this a dated estimate that is based on the admissions process before the early acceptance policy was initiated? In other words, is this range the committee released even relevant nowadays? I understand that they don't want to give false hope, but it does seem somewhat confusing.

Saz: you mention an in-province and oop waiting list. Are there seperate waiting lists for regular, and spec. consideration categories as well? If so, how do they determine who is selected and in what order?

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Guest sazzafrazz

OK there are three waiting lists in total

in province regular category

out of province

in province special consideration category

There are approx 60 in province positions, 15 or so out of province and the remainder is special consideration.

If an out of province spot opens up it goes to the next out of province waitlistee in line and the same goes for the other waitlists respectively.

Last year was an anomaly, there was very little movement on the waiting list. This is not the norm from what I understand. It has in the past usually moved 15 - 20 spots. At this time last year the waiting list had only moved 6 spots and it didn't budge till O-week so you guys on the list this year are already ahead of the game. Here's hoping for mucho movement!

Good luck!

saz

Archived