Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba Med School Info

Guest rmac77

Guest rmac77

I am applying for the 2003 academic year and would like to learn more about U of M's med school. In my previous interview, I was definitely lacking in that area.

If anyone knows of books or other literature available that would facilitate a greater understanding of the med school (other than the web site) please reply to this posting. I find that there is scant info. about the philosophy of the school and what it has to offer.

Thanks and good luck to all applicants/ matriculants!!

Guest maxell

If you had an interview, you probably got the interviewer handbook. That is the most comprehensive info I have ever seen. Also try looking in the UM calendar - there is a short mission statement (probably from the 1940's).

You can read about some of the other schools mission statements (e.g. Dalhousie and Queens are quite specific about what there university stands for and what they hope to accomplish), and try to apply some of the general principles to the UM so that you have a mental image of the ideal medical school philosophy - nobody can argue with that or tell you that you are wrong.

You can ask the Med School office (maybe that will also get them thinking a bit). I find nothing wrong with speaking to them, after all they also have to convince us to go there and what they have to offer us.

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi rmac77 and Maxell,

While the Faculty of Medicine website is not overly "surfer friendly", I have found a great deal of information there. A lot of information on pre-clerkship can be gathered by following the links under this site:

www.umanitoba.ca/facultie...index.html

I've found the information under "curriculum guide", which includes, among other things, performance expectations, evaluation methods, and a break-down of each element of the curriculum, and the "weekly sheets" section, which contains not only the entire class schedule for years 1 and 2 but also the learning goals for a number of the classes, particularly useful.

All-in-all, though, I *do* think the U of M is a little more mysterious to some of us than a number of the other schools. So, what I'm thinking of doing is starting a thread here in which I'll provide a week-to-week breakdown of classes, events, and interesting occurrences during my year 1 (and eventually 2) experience. Or, perhaps I'll try to convince some of my new classmates to work with me in creating a class website, since I think these sites have been quite beneficial for students applying to other schools. Does anyone have any input on this? Is there anything specific you'd like to see included?

rmac,

If anything interesting comes with the registration package this month, I'll definitely let you know. :)

Guest Newtothis

I was just wondering what roles Mr. Charles Paragg does play in the admission procedure. What about Dean Aoki...who actually make the final decisions? Thanks guys.

Guest rmac77

Maxell,

Unfortunately I had my interview a few years ago, and don't have the interview guide. I will look at it closely if granted another interview this year.

ManitobaMed,

Thanks for the advice, and I look forward to your thread-great idea!

I didn't expect to receive such comprehensive answers so quickly, so kudos to the Meds @ manitoba (best province b/c of the people!).

Guest maxell

As ManitobaMed stated above: "All-in-all, though, I *do* think the U of M is a little more mysterious to some of us than a number of the other schools".

Yes correct, the UM has always taken it for granted that people will flock to it, and it never cares promote itself. Come to Toronto and look how the Univeristy of Toronto advertises itself and the programs it offers. Go to Edmonton, and you'll observe the same for the University of Alberta, go to British Columbia......

I for one question the competency and arrogance of those running the school. It's often observed that the worst organizations (regardless if it is a business or government-funded department) often have the most defensive and arrogant staff running it, unwilling to have their power questioned and unreponsive to any concerns. This is in turn why those organizations are so bad. Maccleans magazine is not wrong in ranking the UM at the bottom. In 20 years from now will we still hear the UM making excuses why it ranks so low in Maccleans, and nothing will have changed.

If the UM were a business, it would filling for Chapter 11 under the US Bankrupty Protection Act.

I for one am not applying to the UM. I cannot live in a province that reminds me of the Third World.

Guest brandonite

Newtothis - Charles runs the process. Think of him as the guy who carries out the decisions that have already been made. Dr. Aoki is the head of the admissions committee - that committee (I am not sure how many people are on it) makes all of the decisions. I think Charles will have some influence on the way they might think, just because the admissions committee can't make every tiny decision, but I think that in general, Dr. Aoki is the guy who runs the show.

So, for example... Dr. Aoki and the rest of the adcom would set the criteria for the interview, decide how your final score would be calculated, make important decisions like that. The smaller stuff, like deciding if certain credits should count towards your GPA or not, is probably left up to Charles.

Maxell - a third world country?!?!?

Archived