Premed 101 Forums

IMPORTANT

Guest MAXIMUS PARAGGUS

Guest MAXIMUS PARAGGUS

Guys and Gals of U of M,

Every other Med Site on here are posting notes everyday (multiple in fact/day). It sure would be nice to have U of M meds, pre-meds and med-wannabe's keep this portion of the site alive. There are times when there are no posts for U of M for WEEKS!!!!

So everyday, lets keep in touch. Lets talk about our school. Lets talk about the program. Lets talk about each other so that once we get together in August, we will know so much about each other.

SO LETS DO IT!!!!

So lets do another count of People who have interviewed at U of M this year.

What are all of your Status' (or statii -- just kidding)? For those who got in early, are you waiting for other schools?

What are your stats? (GPA, MCAT)- cause everyone is dying to know!!!!

In province or OOP?

What type of specialty are you interested in?

C'mon team lets start this baby up, and show the rest of the med forums that U of M does have people interested in their program, and meds who will be the leaders in the field!!!!

- Maximus Paraggus

Guest UofM2006

Thanks for the boost maximus!

I agree with your sentiments exactly. As for your request here goes....

Im an OOP student.

- GPA = 3.95/4.00 (ontario scale)

- MCAT = 10,13,13,Q

- early acceptance at U of M -- VERY EXCITED

- U of M is my top choice, although I still am waiting on the other ontario schools

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE.... WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT HOUSING? ANY TIPS? IM LOOKING FOR A NICE PLACE, PREFERABLY VERY CLOSE TO THE MED SCHOOL .... COULD ANYONE OF YOU IN PROVINCE STUDENTS GIVE ME A HAND. IM IN DESPERATE NEED.

THANKS,

UofM-'06

Guest UofM06

Brandonite, V, Kirsteen, OT girl, missing manitoba. tempus textor

ITS YOUR TURN....

Brandonite, how much was your scholaraship for. V, if I remember, you said you got one too -- how much?

;)

Guest OT girl

Good idea to keep the U of M forum alive Maximus. I just haven't had much time to spend on the internet lately!

As for your questions,

-I am in province

-GPA = 4.2/4.5

-MCAT = 13-15,13,13,Q

-early acceptance at U of M ($5000 entrance scholarship)

-U of M is definitely my top choice, I was accepted to Calgary but declined the offer

I look forward to meeting everyone soon!

Agreed: Thanks maximus for taking the first step to get this ball rollin'

I am OOP

my GPA is 4.45/4.5 using Manitoba's Scale

MCAT: 11 13 13 Q

I received a $5000 scholarship as well (surprising, because I was told that OOP are not eligible, but then again, who's arguing :) ).

Manitoba is also my top choice. I interviewed at all the schools in Ontario, and will still wait to hear from all of them on June 1st before I finally start looking for houses in Winnipeg.

OT Girl, any idea on some places to stay in Manitoba? Like Med '06, I also am in desperate need of housing help.

Guest OT girl

Where to live is a good question! I'm not originally from Winnipeg and I have been out of the rental market for a while (I own a house in Crescentwood which is about 15 minutes away from the med school by car). When I completed my undergrad at the Bannatyne campus, I rented an apartment in the same area I live in now because I liked the proximity to restaurants and shopping along the Corydon strip and in Osborne Village. There is a range of rental housing in this area, from converted Victorian houses to typical high rise apartments. When I rented, a two bedroom was around $600 I think. I chose not to live near the campus mainly because of aesthetics and my own comfort level - some areas were not the most pleasant. That being said, apparently there are a significant number of med students who live very close by and literally roll out of bed and go to class. I've never personally seen the med apartments but they would definitely be worth asking about.

Any med students or Winnipeg locals have additional advice?

Guest brandonite

OK, nice to see some people back on here talking!

My stats:

MCAT: 13-15 13 12 Q

GPA: 4.35/4.5 on the Manitoba scale...

In province

$5000 entrance scholarship. :)

I am a MD/PhD student... I have an NSERC PGS as well in biophysics, so I may start with a year of graduate school first.

Anyway... As to where to live... I would never want to live anywhere downtown. The area near the med school is pretty crummy. I don't think it's very safe. I have been either looking at places in the Corydon area, or in the west end near Polo Park. Both are maybe about a 15 minute drive from the school, so that's reasonable. Rent seems to be pretty good - a maximum of about $500 or $600 or so a month for a single. I have a friend from Brandon that I am going to live with if she gets in next month, but if not, I will probably get a place on my own. I looked at the med appartments, but I still don't really want to live downtown, as convenient as that would be...

Of you OOP people, how many of you are planning on attending Manitoba?

Oh, and there is someone else that is an OOP on the Delphi board that got a $5000 entrance scholarship, so they must be for both in province and OOP. I know they sent out 10 of them, so we already know two or three of them, I guess...

Guest missing Manitoba

Hey all,

I'm doing the med student apartment thing; I'm renting a bachelor for $282/month (and will hopefully upgrade to a 1 bedroom eventually). By student housing standards, the apartments are actually pretty decent and include heat and water.

As far as specializing, I'm leaning toward internal medicine, possibly sub-specializing in med onc or haem/onc, but I plan to do some exploring to see if that's really the direction I want to head. Of course, poetic justice dictates that I'll end up a surgeon -- I tend to do a lot of surgeon-bashing. ;)

What schools did you guys attend for undergrad? What program? I did an honours, subject of specialization degree in biomolecular chemistry at Queen's. I'm originally from Rapid City, MB. (10 points to the first OOP who can find it on a map. :) )

Guest brandonite

I can find Rapid City... :) But I'm not an OOP. How about Wawanesa? Can anybody find that? :)

I will graduate on Saturday with a degree in Physics, and minors in Chemistry and Math.

I liked the idea of the med apartments... I just still really don't like the neighborhood. I like the idea of living somewhere where you can go outside at night for a walk without having to bring some sort of a weapon... ;)

I did my undergrad in human physiology and a minor in human molecular genetics. I thought that this would be a good starting point for med school.

So can anyone give me some phone #'s for me to call.... I'd really enjoy the help.

Guest NoName

Good to see that the U of M forum is well and alive again :)

Let's talk about course work we completed as an undergrad. Have you guys taken any kind of med school types of classes? I've taken Physiology, Biochem and Histology(not sure if they were vigorous enough though). I'm kinda worried about the course load expected of an M1...especially Gross Anatomy and Neuroscience. Any thoughts?

NoName = lets put a REAL NAME to that ID?

I think everything will come in stride. I have always been told that the transition is fairly easy, much like the one from grade school to high school or high school to university. I have also been told that gross anatomy is the hard part of M1 but I'm sure that we can all put our brains and helping hands together to get through it.

The beauty of a med class is that everyone comes from a different backround. Inevitably that means that we will have experts from all facets of medicine -- some from biochem, physiology, sociology, ANATOMY just to name a few. That means if we all work together, we can cover all the grounds and get through this together.

So NoName did you receive an acceptance letter yet? OOP or inprovince? What are your Stats? Where did you do your undergrad and in what?

As for everyone else, what is your reasons for choosing U of M?

CAN ANYONE GET THE CARMS (RESIDENCY) MATCHES FOR THE MOST RECENT U OF M CLASS, ALONG WITH WHERE THEY ARE GOING? It seems that all the other schools have posted theirs. It would be nice to know how U of M grads fair, in terms of where and in what they do their residency in.

V

Guest missing Manitoba

Well, as a chem major, I've taken a lot of chemistry (including drug design and bioinorganic chemistry). For my SSP, I also took cell bio, genetics, molecular bio, and biochemistry. In terms of other meds-relevant electives, I took human visceral system anatomy, intro pharmacology (aka pharm for dummies), and "xenobiotic disposition and toxicity" (which included biotransformation pathways, toxicology in systems blocks, teratogenesis, carcinogenesis, DNA damage and repair, drug resistance, etc.). I'm a little nervous about my total lack of background in physiology and histology, but I have a pretty solid grounding at the molecular level. :)

As for my reasons for choosing the U of M, aside from loving Manitoba -- it really is one of the friendliest places on Earth -- I was impressed with the cohesiveness of the meds classes and the support offered to the med students. I also like the strong sense of community that the program espouses.

Here are a few useful links for match results:

www.carms.ca/stats/pgy-1_...cespec.htm

www.carms.ca/stats/pgy-1_...raphic.htm

www.carms.ca/stats/pgy-1_...esults.htm

For apartment rentals, the U of M does have an external housing list at www.umanitoba.ca/student/...CHOUS.HTM; however, most of the places tend to be near the Fort Garry campus, rather than Bannatyne. There is a waitlist for the student apartments, but I'll try to post the phone number tomorrow. :)

Guest OT girl

I completed my Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation in Occupational Therapy at U of M five years ago Since then I've worked full time as a therapist in a variety of settings (acute care, addictions, long-term care etc.). I agree with V that everyone will bring their own individual strengths to the class. The warm and non-competitive environment at U of M seems to foster the sort of teamwork that allows people to rely on each other (one of the main reasons I chose U of M).

Since it's been a while since I've been back to school I'm really excited (and nervous) about getting started, (don't know how I'm going to wait until August!)

Thanks everyone for the quick reply's.

So can anyone tell me the layout of Meds 1 at U of M. I have the basic jist of the year, but I'm looking for more specifics.

:P

Guest missing Manitoba

V,

Have you checked out the MEDiUM website? If you have time to kill, you can find quite a bit of information there. There's a detailed schedule, and I even came across some course notes (history of medicine, I think?). It would be interesting to hear a more personal perspective, though. :)

Guest brandonite

Yes, the UofM site does have a pretty detailed schedule on their website. As far as I can tell, you have almost every minute of your life mapped out from the day you start. I don't exactly know what the breakdown is between PBL/lab/lecture... Perhaps sazz can enligthen us? Personally, and I am going to get in trouble for saying this, I am not a big fan of PBL. I think they tend to have a bit of a mixture of PBL and lecture, at least from what I remember.

Guest brandonite

Oh, and... I looked at the match rates from the website. What did everyone think? I noticed that Manitoba had the lowest percentage of people getting their first choice, but they did have 5 people matching into Toronto... I also seem to remember that Manitoba has a higher percentage of people going into specialties than other schools, so that might be a part of the thing. I really do wish we had a match list, though...

What did everyone else think?

Guest UofM2006

I have always been told it really doesn't matter where you did your undergrad, in terms of where you will assigned a residency spot.

I think that because Manitoba has let in student's into their program in the past who haven't succeeded academically (ie. 2.5/4.5 gpa), that it may be that they may not succeed at the medical level. JHence these students may have not got their first choice.

On the otherhand, it may be that a lot of them chose super-competitive residencies. So for example, if a higher percentage of the U of M class versus those across Canada chose plastics or opthamology, then of course the % of those not getting their first choice would be much higher.

The bottom line is that with such a small class, 3 or 4 students not getting their first choice means HUGE % points (thats like 5-6% of the class right there, where as 3-4 students at U of T means 7-10 students). So if we differ from Toronto by 10%, it may mean in fact, that Toronto has MORE actual students not getting their first choice!!!!

Guest sazzafrazz

Just a note about where to live. I think you guys have to keep in mind that you're talking about Winnipeg! Even the worst areas in our city are like a walk in the park in other large centres. You'll be completely safe no matter where your apartments are in Winnipeg. A great area to live for a student is the Osborne Village area. There's great shopping available all within walking distance. It is located in a hub of the city so that transport in all directions is really convenient. I don't know if there is direct bus service without linking to the school or not but if I had to bet there probably is. I have lived in the area and it's great. Corydon is great too. It's actually very close to the Osborne Village. Polo park is a good idea. Then you'll be close to one of the biggest shopping malls, restaurants, and a movie theatre (Bus service?).

Just a thought for those who can afford. There are a lot of really cute little houses really close to the school. They can be purchased! The mortgage would be very low because the houses are not that expensive (probably less than rent). You could take on room mates, you would have more space than an apartment and more privacy... just a thought.

Good Luck to all

I look forward to meeting all of you next year

saz

Guest UofM2006

Saz,

How do you like U of M meds 1? Can you tell us a) things will entice and excite us B) some of the things that make U of M really stand out?

For the rest, what specialities are you interested in (pretend you had to choose right now)?

:D

Guest anon

Another great place to check out are the Lindenwood apts. They are located in a very nice (residential ) part of Wpg. It is really safe (much more so than living in the houses located close to HSC). The apts. themselves are relatively new, they have gas-burning fireplaces - also, a recreational center with swimming pool, raquetball courts, a great little gym. I think the rent ranges from about $500 for a bachelor to about $850/900 a month for a three bedroom rental.

If I didn't have family to live with in Winnipeg, these apts. would certainly be my first choice!

(:

P.S. bus stop is right in front of the apt complex.

Archived