Premed 101 Forums

2003 Admission Advice

Guest rmac77

Guest rmac77

I have a question...

I am applying this year to Manitoba (MB resident) and have a 10.5 MCAT average of the four sections. I am considering taking it again this summer, however I am not interested in blowing my chances at other schools (in which I have at least the minimums).

My other option would be to apply this year, then write it again should I not be accepted anywhere this year.

If someone is knowledgeable, please advise. Good luck to all applicants... MB is a great province!

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi rmac77,

Having obtained an average MCAT of 11.0, I wrestled with the same decision, especially as I was certain that I could have done better. Ultimately, though, I opted not to rewrite (mainly for financial reasons) and ended up with an early acceptance. For an in-province applicant, 10.5 is a really solid MCAT average. The statistics from last year's class show that the majority of students in the 10.5 to 11.5 range were accepted, with a 100% acceptance rate for those with an AGPA above 4.2.

If you've already made the cut-offs for other schools, I'm somewhat inclined to say not to rewrite, just to be on the safe side. Having made the cut-offs, you should be competitive at these schools; likewise, you are certainly competitive for an in-province position at the U of M. That being said, if you really feel that you could have done considerably better than you did and have the time to devote to preparing to rewrite, there could be some advantages to doing so. Specifically, the U of M offers 10 scholarships to top applicants. With 50% of the admission score being based on your MCAT average, the odds of receiving a scholarship would likely improve with a higher MCAT score. (I'm not, however, exactly sure how scholarship recipients are determined, so you should definitely double-check on this.)

Good luck with your decision! Manitoba is indeed an awesome province! :)

Guest rmac77

Thank you ManitobaMed for the advice. I have been really unsure about this decision. I believe that 10.5 is pretty good, however I think that with more preparation I could have improved on my score.

However, I will apply this year and see how it goes. If not accepted, I will re-write next summer, as it is very costly and I want to ensure that it will go well.

I will be checking these posts regularly this year, and want to find out more about the U of M. I already want to attend, but need to know more info. about particular strengths and other policies of the med school.

If you have any advice, please let me know. Also, I have been out of province for a few years so my knowledge about the health care system in MB is waning.

Thanks for your quick reply and I look forward to chatting as you experience first year med school.

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey rmac77,

I'll try to keep you updated on my year -- I was in exactly the same boat you're in this time last year. :)

Unfortunately, like you, I'm a little out of the loop as far as MB healthcare goes. I've been doing undergrad at Queen's and have stayed on to do research for the summer, so it's been a while since I've watched/listened to/read any Manitoba news. I do know that there are some major expansions taking place at a couple of hospitals in the province. Also, based on the fact that I have a CT scan scheduled for 7pm on a Sunday *in August*, I'm guessing we're short on CT scanners again -- or at least HSC is. :rolleyes

Good luck with your application and feel free to ask any questions you might have! :)

Archived