Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Accepted To Masters - How To Proceed


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

 

I just got into a Masters program at UoT and I have to accept by April 3. Although I am so grateful for the opportunity, I also have 2 med interviews which I won't hear from till May 9.

 

Does anyone know the policies for masters acceptance in these cases? Do I just accept this masters and when I hear from med (and if I'm luckily accepted) decline later?

 

If this application cycle doesn't work out for med I would really like to do this masters so I'm hesitant about letting them know where they are on my priority list

 

Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I guess I wasn't clear. The masters program begins in September but I have to accept by April 3. Are there any repercussions if I do get into med and decline the masters later in the summer?

 

I would think this has happened before as students apply to both med and grad school

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I guess I wasn't clear. The masters program begins in September but I have to accept by April 3. Are there any repercussions if I do get into med and decline the masters later in the summer?

 

I would think this has happened before as students apply to both med and grad school

Yes, that is what I am saying. If you accept a position in a masters program, your med school application may be disqualified and any offer (if given) rescinded. 

 

I recommend asking the medical schools what their policy is, I think there's a good chance it won't be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

 

If medical schools are ok with the possibility of you backing out of a previously accepted master's program to enter med school, then you need to look into the consequences with regard to the master's program - my thought is that it would potentially result in loss of a deposit. 

 

But honestly, every program is so different my advice really boils down to just directly asking both the master's program and med schools what their policies are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that is what I am saying. If you accept a position in a masters program, your med school application may be disqualified and any offer (if given) rescinded. 

 

I recommend asking the medical schools what their policy is, I think there's a good chance it won't be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

 

If medical schools are ok with the possibility of you backing out of a previously accepted master's program to enter med school, then you need to look into the consequences with regard to the master's program - my thought is that it would potentially result in loss of a deposit. 

 

But honestly, every program is so different my advice really boils down to just directly asking both the master's program and med schools what their policies are.

 

Sounds good! I'll send an email to all the schools today. Thanks for your help :)

 

why do you have to accept by April 3 just wondering... I am also applying to Masters program that starts in September should I not get in this year, but the deadline to even apply is May1 and to accept is not till the summer lol

 

The deadline for my masters application was the last week of January! They sent out the acceptances this week. I think it depends on your program as they all have differing dates.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

 

I just got into a Masters program at UoT and I have to accept by April 3. Although I am so grateful for the opportunity, I also have 2 med interviews which I won't hear from till May 9.

 

Does anyone know the policies for masters acceptance in these cases? Do I just accept this masters and when I hear from med (and if I'm luckily accepted) decline later?

 

If this application cycle doesn't work out for med I would really like to do this masters so I'm hesitant about letting them know where they are on my priority list

 

Thanks in advance!

 

I was in the same situation as you for the UofA many years ago 

 

I was just open and honest... explained that I wanted to make an informed choice with all the options laid out. I explained that I truly wanted to be in their program but to accept too quickly without seeing at least what the results were would not make my decision well informed nor would it be very genuine. I asked if they'd be willing to at least wait until the day and then I can let them know. 

 

That said I'm fortunate my program director was the nicest man on the planet (worked with him a year after being accepted ... such a genius in statistics)

 

- G

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...