Premed 101 Forums

Dentistry In Canada Chance

Hey guys this is a post im making from one of my friends. Im trying to convince him to apply to canada but he doesnt want to because he doesnt think he can get in because of his stats but would like to go here. He has:

5th year- 4.0 5n5 courses

4th year- 3.8 4n4 courses

3rd year- 3.5 4n4 courses

2nd year- 3.3 4n3 courses

1st year- 3.0 3n3 courses

He hasnt written the dat yet but if he can get 22's and 23's, doesnt he have a chance in canada? Especially if some schools take ur best 2 years and drop ur worst year? Or am i giving him false hope?

Depending on how his GPA converts to a %, he might have a solid chance at western?

If he is IP for UBC he also might have a solid chance at UBC depending on how his marks translate to the % scale. 

I'm going to guess that toronto would be an uphill battle? Don't know much about the other schools. 

If those are OMSAS GPAs, even dropping the lowest year would mean his average GPA is 3.65 for UofT, which isn't enough for OOP. For McGill, he might have a slim chance but needs to have real good ECs. For Sask/UWO, I don't think he could apply since there aren't two years with full course loads. Not sure about the other schools but I don't think he has much of a chance unfortunately.

Can't do Western because they require a full course load each year next cycle.

What's consider full course load for Western? 5 and 5?

If those are OMSAS GPAs, even dropping the lowest year would mean his average GPA is 3.65 for UofT, which isn't enough for OOP. For McGill, he might have a slim chance but needs to have real good ECs. For Sask/UWO, I don't think he could apply since there aren't two years with full course loads. Not sure about the other schools but I don't think he has much of a chance unfortunately.

Does USask required 2 or 3 year with full course load?

Hes IP for Alberta.

Ah I see, 

I think for UBC it would be a long shot if his GPA is below 86% (worst year removed). 

I think sask and UWO would be their best chances, but like other posters said they may have to look into doing some extra full time years . 

Hey guys this is a post im making from one of my friends. Im trying to convince him to apply to canada but he doesnt want to because he doesnt think he can get in because of his stats but would like to go here. He has:

5th year- 4.0 5n5 courses

4th year- 3.8 4n4 courses

3rd year- 3.5 4n4 courses

2nd year- 3.3 4n3 courses

1st year- 3.0 3n3 courses

He hasnt written the dat yet but if he can get 22's and 23's, doesnt he have a chance in canada? Especially if some schools take ur best 2 years and drop ur worst year? Or am i giving him false hope?

Sorry brother, he's gonna need 6~7th year or a second degree

• 4 weeks later...

Ah I see, 

I think for UBC it would be a long shot if his GPA is below 86% (worst year removed). 

I think sask and UWO would be their best chances, but like other posters said they may have to look into doing some extra full time years . 

How do you convert from letter grades to % for UBC?

Archived